1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has Cruise lost it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Has Tom Cruise lost his appeal as a bankable star? Leading man?
    His movie Jack Reacher failed to reach No. 1 this week. It earned an estimated $15 million.

According to IMDB Cruise is slated for four more movies, including another MI.

His last few movies:

His last several movies - with the exception of MI's - have not been smash hits.
    I'm an not a fan of the MI franchise. I'd argue his last good movie, in which he was a star, was The Last Samurai. Before that Jerry McGuire.

Has Cruise lost his power as a bankable star? Or is this just a bump in the road?

I saw the previews for Reacher and was meh'd.
    If it was Liam Neeson or Jason Statham, yeah. Cruise? Meh.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe they should do Risky Business 2: Guido's Revenge

3. Cruise is still a big international draw. But he's no longer a sex symbol in the US. Girls don't want to be with him and guys don't want to be him.

That said - Knight and Day was an enjoyable and under-rated flick.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Jack Reacher" and "All You Need is Kill" sound like they should be starring Rainier Wolfcastle, not Tom Cruise.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was a bad idea. That could be part of the issue with this movie.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Chris, I hope you're joking about Knight and Day... That had to be among the worst movies I've ever seen.

I had written Cruise off as done, at least as a bankable A-list movie star, until MI:4 came out last year. That was a very, very good movie.

I'm sure he'll have a few more hits before he's done. His personal life certainly doesn't help matters. Cruise's biggest draw in the late 80s and early 90s was that he seemed very likable. I don't think people like him anymore and that's largely due to the fact that most people think he's a creepy fraud in real life.

He's probably had a better run of any actor of my lifetime... It's probably him or Harrison Ford, and nobody goes to his movies anymore either...

7. Mizzou - not kidding about Knight and Day. Which is surprising to me too because I'm not a fan of either Cruise or Acne McFlatchest

8. John

John Well-Known Member

All I see when I look at him now is a crazy guy in a cult who loves to be shown running in his films.

9. Cruise does run better than Liam Neeson (who runs like he's holding in a shit)

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I didn't see it but didn't Cruise get pretty good reviews for being pretty funny in Pineapple Express?

11. Mizzougrad96

I like most of his movies. That one might be the only one he's done that I would call just a complete piece of shit. I'm probably forgetting one. That Irish movie he made with Kidman was pretty awful as well.

12. Mizzougrad96

Are you thinking of Tropic Thunder?

Awesome movie and he might have been the best part of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted