1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone talked to TO's doctor or the team doctor?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 29, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm so sick of T.O.'s escapades I haven't followed the story closely today (Thursday) after being hooked in like everyone else was on Wednesday.

I'm just wondering has anyone asked the surgeon (or doctor) that prescribed the pain killer why he prescribed that particular one knowing there could be a severe interaction with the "supplements" TO's on?

The team trainer/doctor must known what supplements TO's on. Why didn't the trainer or team doctor tell TO to stop taking one or more of the supplements because of a potential interaction with pain pills?

Has any story addressed what supplements could cause the type of "allergic reaction" TO had when combined with the pain meds he's on?

Unless of course the interaction/allergic reaction story is a huge cover-up and he really did try to kill himself. ::) ::)

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Look up HIPAA laws and get back to us. The docs probably won't say much unless T.O. signs a permission slip.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Which would be part of any NFL contract or the bargaining agreement? Yes/no?
    I know that with most D1 colleges, a HIPAA waiver is part of the scholarship agreement....

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm not sure, slappy. I just don't know how the NFLCBA is worded. I know that for 'normal' people the HIPAA laws prevent the docs from even acknowledging what a person was treated for, much less what prescriptions and other treatments were taken.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I know what HIPAA laws are and I poorly worded the question in my half-awake state that I posted in last night/early this morning.

TO said what pain pills he was on, were there any stories talking to any doctor or any trainer stating if that kind of reaction could be caused by a supplement combined with that specific medication, and if so, what supplements?
    And if can't be caused by a supplement, then are there any steroids that would cause that kind of interaction with his specific pain medication.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

EStreet, you have a really good point and I apologize for my snippy response -- blame it on a late night in a pressbox watched bad football while sitting between two of the worst-smelling journalists I've ever encountered. One smelt of horrible BO and the other bathed in really bad, cheap after shave My headache after that nasal assault had me wishing I had TO's pain pills.

Chances are, his pain pills were of the simple lortab or vicadin variety. And if you talked to a doct with another school about hypotheticals, you'd probably have a pretty interesting angle to look into.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Estreet makes a good point. A doctor may come out looking very stupid in this mess if TO's story holds up.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Quick answer to your question. No, no one talked to the team doctor or Owens' doctor that I'm aware of, though they might have asked and been given a no comment, whch would be the likely answer. But yes, both the Morning News and the Star-Telegram ran stories about possible side effects of hydrocodone and mixing it with supplements. The issue was also addressed in the Morning News' story on Buddy Primm, Owens' personal trainer.

Actually, looking at the Star-Telegram's story again, no doctor was quoted. In fact, it doesn't say much at all. The Morning News ran quotes from a doctor and Primm in its medication sidebar.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

TO said in the presser he was taking hydrocodone.

http://www.drugs.com/Hydrocodone/index.html

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Hydrocodone is the active ingredient in Vicodin or Lortab (just add some tylenol). To my knowlege, there would be few interactions with non prescription supplements, aside from nausea or vomiting from stomach irritation.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I don't know about you guys, but I believe DocTalk over TO. Than again, I believe D_B over TO.
    no offense doc

12. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

One of the local radio stations interviewed an ER nurse about the procedure/timing for various types of ODs. Some interesting stuff. It's worth a listen.

http://www.amfmpodcast.com/PodCast/KTCK/KTCK177/KTCK_092706_HL-ER.mp3

Draft saved Draft deleted