1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone here gotten rid of cable/satellite TV?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We're toying with the idea of getting rid of Dish Network after the NCAA Tournament and not replacing it until football season starts... Right now, we're paying $80 a month for a TV package that is pretty heavy on kid's channels and sports...

Has anyone done this? We were going to get Hulu Plus and possibly Netflix and just using that.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for live sports, I'd have already done that.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Went two years without cable. Never read better in my life.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. Mizzougrad96

We will watch almost no sports between the NCAA Tournament and the start of football season.

6. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

A few years back, we got rid of it for about 10 months in order to save for a vacation. We had/have Comcast and by time you factor in the no-TV penalty and adding on Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, we really didn't save much.

I keep telling myself to buy my own cable modem to save the $5 a month rental fee because it will pay for itself in about a year and to get rid of a couple of premium channels I've literally not watched in four months to nickle and dime it back down.

We had a small child at the time but the times I've been without cable after moving (there were no kids in the picture in either instance) and waiting a few weeks for them to show up and turn it on, I echo the statement that I got a lot more reading done.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

To piggyback on this, does anyone have any experience using the watch ESPN app without cable? In the above instance when we didn't have cable, I was able to watch a handful of games, primarily the BCS championship game that year, on my Xbox 360 using the app but that was three years ago.

8. Mizzougrad96

When I lost my job several years ago, we scaled cable back to the bare minimum and didn't have ESPN for over a year. I didn't miss it at all. My kids were young enough that we could get away with showing them Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVDs... Now, my kids watch a ton of Disney Channel shows and I'm unwilling to make this switch if they're going to notice the difference. I get the sense that I can get a lot of those shows on Hulu Plus.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I haven't had cable in six years at this point. I have a Roku linked up with Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime accounts. During the baseball season, I have MLB.tv (also hooked up to the Roku). We have an antenna to get the basic channels so I can get all the football games except the Monday and Thursday night games, and now we'll get half the Thursday night ones. There are very few occasions on which I miss having cable.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Give me NFLN, MLB, their respective game packages and my PBS affiliate and I'd be willing to go the rest of my life without fucking cable.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That would probably work for me, except that I'm a Braves fan. And MLB's antiquated blackout rules prohibit me from getting Braves games on MLB.TV because I live in their broadcast "territory."

12. Mizzougrad96

NFL Network is the channel I will miss the most.

Draft saved Draft deleted