1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone ever had a vehicle repossessed?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

What the hell am I supposed to do? What are my rights? Do I even have any?

When my ex and I were married and both making decent wages, we bought a minivan together.

My job changed for the worse. She lost hers this year. Therefore, we are several months behind on the payment, and they're clamoring for the van.

We've moved and divorced, so I guess they don't know where the van is? I don't answer my phone, though they do know where I live (and have plastered "final notice"s on my car window with duct tape.

We owe around $6g on the van. The Kelly book value is about $2g. It's now full of dents and scratches, needs two new tires and a tune-up, and is filthy inside.

It's always been my wife's ride. But my name is on the lease, and I have the only phone number (or address) they have on file. It's parked at my ex's house.

I wish to hell a tornado would come and destroy it, or a sleepy semi driver would T-bone it so their insurance will pay for it. But I'm sick with stress over the fear of having my already low wages garnished for a car I don't even own nor drive. And I sure as hell can't afford an attorney.

Again, What the hell am I supposed to do? What are my rights? Do I even have any?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Myself, I'd try calling a lawyer.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the worst idea, that's for sure.

4. HandsomeHarley

Something lost in the translation?

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Do you have any friends that are lawyers? Friends of friends? Call up a law firm and see if they'll agree to a quick consultation pro bono or for a low fee.

6. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Was the car payment addressed in your divorce? Is your ex-wife legally responsible for it? Also, maybe bankruptcy would work toward keeping it, but I don't know that's a road you want to go down. Also, maybe the dealership would be willing to refinance your payments if they can't sell it for what you owe on it anyway.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you own the car or lease it? You mentioned that your name is on "lease" . If you have leased car than the leasing company really owns it.

I would get hold of contract and see what it says about repossession and your rights.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's probably too late, but no matter how deep you get, always answer your phone and be honest with the creditors. It will always, always, always be less painful.

9. imjustagirl

Harley: Every lawyer will do a free consultation, even if it's just over the phone. They will at least tell you what you're facing and what you should do. This isn't complicated.

10. HandsomeHarley

Forgot to mention:

* We went through a bankruptcy in September of last year (and kept the van off of it at the time), so that option is out.

* We borrowed the money through a credit union, so the van belongs to the credit union until it's paid in full.

* We discussed the van payment in our divorce papers, and it was stated that we would each make the monthly payments every-other month.

* Don't have lawyer friends. The lawyer that we went through said bankruptcy charges $75 for a 30-minute consultation. There is very little in this world that is free anymore. =-(

* Towards is a pet peeve of mine. It's toward.

Sorry if I sound like a bitch, but starting this thread seemed a better idea than "Depression Part VII." And my efforts to inject a little humor into a very stressful situation is epic fail.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of my college roommates got a job for the summer working for a general loan company, repossessing stuff.
    His first day he shows up and knocks on a door. Politely tells the guy who answers he's there to repossess the TV.
    The guy sticks a gun in his face and says, "Repossess this."

My roomie said have a nice day, quit and found another job.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Well, one more. Who was that kid about 12 years ago who bypassed college against all advice? Wasn't good enough for the NBA - and he ended up here playing for the Richmond Rhythm. Ralph Sampson was the coach. I wish the name would come to me. Anyway, the guy plays in the first half. Ralph goes to put him in the game in the third quarter and he's not on the bench. Or in the arena as best as anyone can tell. Can't find him the next day either.

My enterprising partner at the paper learned the kid bought a fancy vehicle when he arrived in Richmond and never made a payment. The guy who was in charge of getting it back knew he was on the Rhythm, so he took his tow truck under the Coliseum during the game and loaded up the car. A kid who worked there went to the player on the bench and said, "Your rig is getting towed the hell out of here." Player went chasing off after it.

What the FUCK was his name? Something Young? I'll be up all night.

12. imjustagirl

Korleone Young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.