1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone been contacted by ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoopsfan23, May 30, 2007.

1. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Blatant threadjack...

How common is it to be tested for general sports knowledge? I've had three jobs and none gave sports tests. One other job, for a PT gig at the Westchester NY paper, required a sports test. But that's all I've ever heard about.
    Anyone with more insight?

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Threadjack: I had a correspondent last year that used "booyah," in a prep football gamer twice. I edited it out. I explained to him sportscenter lingo does not belong in newspaper stories. I told him a few things I liked about his gamer, but reminded him to leave out the sportscaster catch phrases. The next week, he e-mails a gamer with phrases like, "receiver x made a ridiculous 58-yard catch," and "cornerback so-and-so returned the interception 91 yards. Are you kidding me?" Needless to say, that was the last gamer he wrote for us.

3. donaugust

donaugust Member

Sadly, many people don't even get the hint after being fired.

4. Flood

Flood New Member

Hey, that kid can work for ESPN! He got it.

The answer is B.

5. No, but I believe they're tapping my phone.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've only interviewed with one paper that gave me a general-knowledge sports test in addition to the normal copyediting test.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If you think it's bad now, just wait until 2012 and the rollbackbackback of personal freedoms under the first Berman administration.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, did they call you out of the blue? Did you apply and they got back to you? Would you have to work in Bristol?

9. I applied for a job that was listed on this site with an e-mail address and also through their jobs board. I have no idea which method got my stuff to the right guys, but I ended up taking an e-mail interview kind of thing. Not a test, per se, but something I had to complete and send back to them. Months later I got an form letter e-mail from the jobs board saying thanks, but no thanks.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

ESPN called me, they want me to be their fail beat writer.

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Yeah, they called me and wanted to know why I shit-canned ESPN The Magazine.

Since no one said it Big Buck, here you go, it ain't gonna end well.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Question No. 3...

There is a full slate of baseball games and the NBA and NHL playoffs are underway... What clip will SportsCenter show after the commercial?

a. Arena Football
    b. ESPN Deportes
    c. The Mayne Event
    d. Chris Berman nailing a putt from a Pro-Am

Draft saved Draft deleted