1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has any city in the last 40 years been punched in the stomach more than...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, May 14, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Don't forget the short-lived Cleveland Barons of the NHL, one of a number of hockey franchises to fail there over the years. That said, the current team in the marketplace, the Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL, seem to be drawing well.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't mind tangents, but this is about sports.

The New York chant was inspired, but if Boston was really cold, they could have busted this one out during a timeout.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

My God, how far Drew Carey has fallen.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Crooked River Burning by Mark Winegartner is also a pretty good book on Cleveland. Its fiction, but he tells a pretty good story on the city's decline from post-war industry to today.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I still awake from nightmares mumbling "Red Right 88" and "f*ck Elway" and "goddammit, Mesa, get that f*cker out!"

6. I think Buffalo might qualify.
    Lost its NBA franchise
    Lost four Super Bowls in a row
    Was robbed in the 1999 Stanley Cup final
    Bills play regular-season games in another country, for crying out loud
    and gets the shit kicked out of it about five times a year by hellish snow storms

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cleveland has the Browns

Advantage: Buffalo

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You are on my shit list for bringing Jose Fucking Mesa in this conversation.

Fucker.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here's the thing about The Drive. Elway had like third-and-23 or something -- I'll have to put the DVD in to make sure -- and converted it. That and they went 98 1/2 yards. It wasn't Elway. It was the sieve of a Browns defense. OK ... it was Elway.

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

But they still have the Plain Dealer, damn it! That has to count for something.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

But LeBron is a global icon! He IS the NBA! He IS Cleveland!

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I went to college with a guy from college, and as a result have had sympathy for the town over the years.
    However, being realistic, Kosar's skills were rapidly diminishing. The guy had some good years but he was sinkkng fast.
    Ramirez and Belle are/were turds. Thome - I can understand the disappointment when he left.
    But the Browns brought their own misery on themselves. They allegedly had a good defense that year but couldn't get a stop during a 98-yard drive.
    And then there's Earnest Byner.

Draft saved Draft deleted