1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

You know, another thing occured to me just now. Remember reading some time ago that there was supposed to be something special about Crookshanks -- he wasn't 'just a cat.' Not that he was an animagus or anything, but that he was a species that was special. But... nothing ever came of it.
    Or did I miss something?

Edit:
    Huh. This from wikipedia. Nevermind.

2. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

I keep remembering more that we didn't find out.
    We didn't find out what Harry's parents did.
    We didn't really learn about Petunia (the more than meets the eye stuff) other than she wished she could go to Hogwarts.
    We never saw a person who had never before displayed magic but did so under extreme conditions.
    We didn't find out what Dudley saw when the dementors attacked him.
    We didn't learn what spell Dumbledore had cast at Voldemort during their battle in Order.
    She told a great story and tied up almost all of the loose ends. In the grand scheme of things, this stuff doesn't really matter, but they are all things she has said in interviews we would learn.
    I'll probably remember more later.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I have to admit I was kind of underwhelmed. No major characters died (Tonks and Lupin? They're like soon-to-be-retired partners of renegade cops) and the ending was kind of confusing.

It was entertaining enough, but I remember finishing the sixth book and I couldn't wait for the seventh. Turns out to have been a bit of a letdown.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To think I was made fun of as an 11-year-old for reading the Hardy Boys.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Huh? How so? Rowling damned near spelled everything out while Harry and Riddle circled each other.

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I think, and very well could be wrong, that when Voldy "killed" harry the first time, all he did was kill the horcrux part of him. Which brings up the point of Rowling denying that harry was a horcrux leading up to the release of the book. oh well, misdirection and all.

overall i liked it. Agree that the non-verbal magic never came into play. Liked how Snape was really good, although how he died was rather weak with Voldy only killing for the wand and not because he found out he was good.

7. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

I wish she hadn't denied that people could be horcruxes or that they could be made on accident. She should have just had the policy that she wouldn't answer any questions about what would happen.
    Also, I still feel like it's a better story if Harry actually does die there. Sacrifice was a big theme of the series and it took him making the ultimate sacrifice for Voldemort to be defeated. Why couldn't it have actually BEEN that sacrifice instead of just the willingness to do it?

8. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

I'm sure that was the only reason ...

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yeah, I meant before that....they did clear up everything in the scene you're talking about, but if you need such a talky exposition/explanation during a climactic duel, you've got problems.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The things the book lacked were minimal. I thought it was damn near perfect.

11. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

I thought it was really good, but it didn't deliver on some of the things she promised in interviews.
    And personally I found the epilogue lame. She wrote that when she did the first book, right? How come she never went back and re-wrote it in the ensuing 17(?) years to make it better -- and answer the questions she knew she is going to get asked over and over again.

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

A lot of those promises were made in interviews done as many as seven years ago -- it's reasonable to assume that a plot point or two (or ten) would be dropped in the ensuing years.

Draft saved Draft deleted