1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

Woot and Harry Potter...what could be better? :D

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Picked up the book from Borders at 1 p.m. Sunday, finished it this morning. Good, but didn't anyone else feel it dragging in the middle? All these things were going wrong for Harry, Ron and Hermione, and I just got to be a bit much just before it got better (finding the sword, Ron's return).
    And, the diedem was in the Room of Requirement, the place where hundreds of others had stashed stuff they were trying to hide? That was a little disonant. Pissed that one of the twins died, not to mention Tonks, but the rest of it? Pure gold. Loved it. Especially the Snape backstory.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thinking as to how they're going to make the movie, I see a lot of the camping stuff cut. It'd be something I wouldn't mind too terribly much, too. I wasn't as mad about Fred biting it, but I was surprised it was him. After Ron and Ginny, I thought they were the safest in the family.

4. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I loved how Harry taunted Voldemort at the end, constantly calling him Riddle. That was, essentially, him saying "Listen motherfucker. You don't scare me."

I also liked Mrs. Weasley's "Not my daughter you bitch." Came out of nowhere.

Wife and I both thought some of the stuff was out of character for the people and that killing Hedwig was unnecessary.

I thought Mr. Weasley would be the Weasley to go. Did anyone think there wouldn't be a Weasley death? That was almost guaranteed.

5. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

From a practical standpoint, it was necessary. Hedwig is too conspicuous for Harry to be dragging her around all of creation during the Horcrux hunt. She was, sadly, the first of many collateral casualties.

6. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Yeah, but couldn't he have just left Hedwig with the Weasleys? She didn't do anything to Crookshanks. Didn't even mention him. Hedwig was a bigger part of things, but we just figured the Weasleys could have fed her and let her fly letters to Ginny.

It just seemed unnecessary.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The only one I really saw as unnecessary was Colin Creevy. The others at least proved some point.

*Edit*

Not really proved a point, but had some sort of purpose.

8. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

I just finished.
    I won't say I nailed everything, but I had Snape as good, Harry having to die as a horcrux (though I didn't see him coming back) and Malfoy turning (which sort of happpened).
    I had heard the theory about stoppered death, so even that wasn't really a surprise to me.
    I followed all the twists and turns until the end when Malfoy was named as the master of the Elder Wand. How did that happen?

9. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

OK, just found the answer on wikipedia. It's because Malfoy disarmed Dumbledore before Snape finished him off.
    Couldn't that have been made clearer?
    And why wasn't the stuff Snape kept emphasizing about nonverbal magic even mentioned in this book? I guess that was just a red herring, but not a very good one.

10. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

Just finished. Had to wait for my wife to read it first ...

Some random thoughts:

Really enjoyed it. It dragged in the middle but last couple of hundred pages made it impossible to put down. I thought she did a great job describing Harry walking to his "death."

Also impressed with how she transitioned Neville from pitiful incompetent to a leader.

The Colin Cready part was on one hand unnecessary but then again brought a sadness that comes with war.

Also found myself laughing at parts of this book more than the others. Ron was the reason for most of it though the part where a first-year Ravenclaw is kicking the teacher was pretty funny.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This is more of a question than a statement, but did Harry actually die or was he just knocked out? I'm still trying to decide what happened there.

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Haven't had the chance to re-read the final few chapters (a co-worker has my copy of the book) but I'd guess that was intentionally left open to interpretation.

Draft saved Draft deleted