1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harrisonburg gets hit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The newspaper in Harrisonburg - one of the top sports papers of its (or any) size - got hit.
    I had a chance to talk to Chris Simmons, the DNR's excellent sports editor, last month and he was hopeful layoffs could be held off. But not optimistic.
    It happened today. I got this note from the sports staffer, Doug Manners (I may have that last name wrong, I only met him briefly), who was let go:

Figured I'd pass on the bad news to you from the Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg. We had layoffs in the newsroom yesterday -- I was let go in sports and one photographer was also let go. They cut the newest hire in each department. Sports is now down to five people (editor, assistant editor and three reporters). News was spared only because they haven't replaced the last three people who left.

Feel free to add this to the many, many other layoff threads on the board. Fortunately, I saw this coming a long time ago, so it wasn't much of a shock. I was the one seated with Chris Simmons last month at the CAA women's basketball tournament that Chris not-so-jokingly told you would looking for a job soon. 'Soon' turned out to be about three weeks.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Only one thing can be said:

[​IMG]

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus H. I did NOT expect Harrisonburg to lay people off. That was probably stupid of me.

I think Manners is the only person on staff I have not met, but from what I've been told, he was doing a great job.

Does this mean Winchester also made cuts?

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And knowing what kind of a class act and great journalist Chris is, he was probably physically ill at the notion/process of having to lay someone off.

On a completely different tangent, 2mcm, anytime you can get Q-bert into a thread, you're doing your job.

Draft saved Draft deleted