1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harrisburg Patriot-News to publish three times a week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Aug 28, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Can you say self-fulfilling prophecy?

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think the people in newsrooms who have lost their jobs because of this dumbassery would disagree.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Self . . . fulfilling . . . prophecy!

What do I win?

Agreed. Plus, just because "the circulation and press people" might be affected more, doesn't make this OK on any level.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The 3-days-a-week thing is a choice, not a strategy to ward off future losses. There are so many different ways to leverage news sources so as not to choose the 3-day-a-week option. It's what they want to do.

It could be good business, it could be bad business. But to label it "smart" is far too premature. I don't think it will "work" in the classic sense. It'll work for the handful of people who made the decision, because they'll get out with their money either way. But self-service in business - for the sake of it - is about as ignoble as it gets.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Separate argument. Plenty of jobs have been lost at places that didn't reduce publication frequency, too.

I agree with BTE that it probably does affect copy desk more than reporters. Although, in my case, it can give me more time to go out and report because I'm not chained to the desk quite as often. Even if a place goes web-only, you are still going to need editors. Heaven forbid reporters be expected to edit and post their own stuff.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Again, one needs to compare further investment in the newspaper against other possible investments--knowing the company can make a "profit" if they continue to print the paper seven days per week is a meaningless metric. Presumably, those that "get out with their money either way"--whatever exactly that means--won't hide it underneath a mattress. They'll likely spend or invest it elsewhere. Maybe they'll start a new software company that hires engineers. Maybe they'll invest in municipal bonds that help build a new school. Maybe they'll invest in a distribution company that makes goods more available to low-income consumers. Why are those pursuits less noble than employing journalists?

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Have you paid any attention to what's happened at The Denver Post?

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tonight, our network has completely died on us. We have no wire, no InDesign access, no photo access. We're sitting around waiting to see if we'll be able to get up in time to get the paper out.

Quite the week, eh?

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Good wishes for safe passage.
    Go treat yourself to a drink.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh, Shotty... we have had that happen as well on occasion. My sympathies to you... and to your colleagues. :)

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Oh, shitfuck. Sorry to see this, for shotty and everyone else at the Patriot-News.

Besides this being another excuse to eliminate more jobs, my biggest problem with the 3-day-print/24-hour online strategy is how much fewer "meat and potatoes" news stories will be covered.

Can anyone provide a link to a newspaper web site that's gone digital yet still thoroughly covers city, schools, etc. online? I'm talking real reporting, not just unpaid bloggers or anonymous comments spouting off.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

other than the fact that they are playing their own fucking death march?
    come on, mizzou, christ. you just don't take what you do, slash it in half and expect good things to happen in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted