1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harpers: Dems Circulating Foley E-Mails in May 05

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Alley,

Not to pick nits, but I don't think the Democrats sat on it -- it seems they tried to tell any news organization that would listen.

And I think it was more than one page, wasn't it?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Democrat or Republican, in this case it matters little to me. I'm more concerned with what actually happened to the page (pages?) than I am with who is trying to "profit" from it. Politicians in general are scum, regardless of affiliation, and I wouldn't put it past a single one of them to use the death of a family or spouse as a way to get attention and re-elected.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Exactly. This was a bi-partisan cover-up that hurt a lot of people.

The fact that the GOP didn't shut this down immediately even with what little evidence they had at the time is bad enough but the Dems trying to portray themselves as concerned about the young men involved is sickening. If they were concerned about the safety of the pages, they would have raised holy hell when they first heard about it. Not a month before election day.

Nobody comes off looking good in this IMO.

4. This was in no sense a bipartisan cover-up.
    A Republican leadership covered up for a Republican MOC, in no small part because he was raising money by the potful for other candidates. Keep trying, boys, but there's no pony down there under this one.
    And, it needs to be said, every one of ABC's sources was a Republican. That this little tidbit encapsulates everything that's been wrong with how the modern DeLayized, Dobsonized, Abramoffian GOP does business was a bonus.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So the dems and the media, after viewing the e-mails, decide it's not enough proof, but Hastert was supposed to view the same e-mails and come to a completely different conclusion and drum Foley out. Just more hypocracy from the left.

And now that we know the dems had the e-mails and held onto them until the most politically advantageous time, it pretty much throws out the window the idea that they're at all worried about "protecting the kids."

And no one's been defending Foley, so you're the one who should be looking for some new talking points.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Brian Ross had the story cold months ago, his explanation was that he/ABC was 'too busy' reporting on the anniversary of 9/11 and Katrina to get to the story

7. First of all, for the love of god, learn to spell "hypocrisy," please?
    Thank you.
    Now, again, there is a timeline that exists, and you can see that the Republican leadership had more than a few warnings over the last few years and did nothing. Honest. They didn't. They were the ones empowered to do so. They fobbed it off on Reynolds, the national campaign chief, and they froze out the one Democratic member of the page board, so as to who politicized this, you're wrong about this, too.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

How would you have PROVEN to your paper's lawyers that maf54 was Foley?

Asshat.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Bull-FUCKING-shit!

The GOP knew for 9 years.

The Rove lookalike knew... and then BEGGED Foley to run again.

You ain't pulling this shit again.

Asshole.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Great day for GOP.

It just needs 27 consecutive days of celebrity plane crashes and people might forget everything.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

So the dems and the media, after viewing the e-mails, decide it's not enough proof, but Hastert was supposed to view the same e-mails and come to a completely different conclusion and drum Foley out. Just more hypocracy from the left. Hastert is the Speaker of the House, and bears the full powers and responsibility of that office. On the strength of what was known last year, he should have disciplined Foley, ordered him into rehab and launched a full investigation. If for no other reason than to protect the party. Harper's on the other hand, is just a fucking magazine.

And now that we know the dems had the e-mails and held onto them until the most politically advantageous time, it pretty much throws out the window the idea that they're at all worried about "protecting the kids." If you read the story, or even the thread title, you know that the emails you're talking about were being circulated in 2005 - hardly the most advantageous moment relative to the next election. The media didn't bite beacuse there was insufficient proof. This is no October surprise. And "What about the children?" is the hypocritical and constant drumbeat from the far right. I was being sarcastic.

And no one's been defending Foley, so you're the one who should be looking for some new talking points. Check the thread title again. By trying to change this story from one about the dipsomaniacal Republican pedophile from Florida into a tick-tock on who knew what when, you are, in fact, defending Foley. Sorry.
    [/quote]

Oh. And I'm not a Democrat.

Draft saved Draft deleted