1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harper to Bono: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Jun 11, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was a story because of Bono, not because of Stephen Harper. Bono charged that Canada "blocks aid to Africa," a fair charge for him to make publicly if he believes it. But then he took it a step farther by letting it be know that the PM didn't return his phone calls. It was Bono who let the media know that, not Harper. You don't do that unless you "expect" that you deserve a meeting. That made it into a story and Harper had to respond when he was questioned about it. If it was simply Bono calling a bunch of times and Harper not returning the phone calls, or not taking him seriously, Harper would have never addressed it. The fact that Bono turned it into a story suggests that Bono believes he deserved a meeting with the Canadian PM.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

A 5-year-old in Ivory Coast needs Bono. To argue otherwise is detrimental to the cause and indicates to me that you don't really give a fuck about this issue.

Since this thread started on Monday, more than 20,000, including several thousand children, people have died from AIDS or malaria.

Enjoy your lunch today.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And you just indicated that you don't give a fuck about actually talking to me and finding out about the things I am passionate about and how I approach them as a person. You just characterized a stranger on an anonymous message board as someone who is doing back flips because there are children dying in Africa and AIDs and malaria are rampant. Don't enjoy your lunch today, because that was a shitty thing to post.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Harper is one cranky person lately. I guess he is threatening our premier and NFLD with a lawsuit because of the Offshore Accord.

Way to alienate yourself Harper!

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Okay, Caller No. 5, you're on.

Why don't you start by telling us your thoughts on world poverty, AIDS and third-world debt.

While you're at it, I'd like to know who qualifies as the voice for these people and how whoever that is is any more qualified than Bono. I'm certainly open to ideas.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I think Bono should be the least of Harper's concerns. I hope our premier puts him in his place for what he's done with the Offshore Accord. I hope all Nova Scotian and NFLD MP's will stand up in Parliament and vote against the budget and I hope senators will not let it pass. If that happens, election is looming.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Actually, assuming it was Bono that told the media, it was a rather shrewd way to get more of his message out there. Think about it. I didn't hear word one about him actually meeting with Bush and whomever else he talked to. But when he was turned down to talk about it, the story came to the forefront -- and it brought with it the message that children in Africa are suffering and Western nations aren't doing enough to help.

I generally regard Bono as being pretentious (the "always wearing sunglasses" thing alone would be enough to make me think that), but when it comes to issues like this, his heart is in the right place and he's using his fame to try to do good. I can't ever fault him for that.

8. Ragu --
    Your sarcasm would be so much more effective if you weren't so passive-aggressive about it.
    He's just a freaking entertainer, but you're not doubting the sincerity of his views, but he's just like anyone else, blah-diddy-blah.
    Except he's also a guy that's travelled the region a couple of hundred times, has been recognized by most of the people you think should have better things to do than recognize him, and is credited by the people who know the issue best has having been invaluable in his assistance to them.
    That ought to be enough, actually, and I suspect Bill Gates would agree.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A celebrity who uses it as such should never get stiffed by such a prick.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I don't think that is an unfair indictment of TBR's posts, based on their content and certainly their tone.

11. Simon_Cowbell

I read that he and Gandolfini both have eye conditions that are helped by wearing prescription shades.

Bono has so much sunshine and klieg tossed at him, how can you really blame him?

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

As usual, no one here gives a shit what you think or don't think.

Draft saved Draft deleted