1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harold Reynolds to sue ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Oct 31, 2006.

1. sheos

sheos Member

Wow, I didn't know about that Tirico stuff until I just googled it. What a scary, scary man. I'll never think the same of him again, not that I ever thought much of him because he always seemed like a boring announcer not worthy of my thoughts one way or the other.
    And I don't get it - if i was a big TV guy I wouldn't be doing creepy, weird stuff. What's the point? You can get plenty of women by coming across normal.

2. Not when you're 5-foot-2!

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

What's Reynolds going to sue for, defintion of character?

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

BB works for ESPN now and has since June hasn't she?

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Caveat -- I haven't seen the legal complaint.

Having said that, his contract likely has a "for cause" termination provision which would permit ESPN to terminate his employment without any further payment if he engaged in certain conduct (a felony, an act involving fraud, failure to show up to work, etc.). I would be shocked, given ESPN's history, if sexual or other harassment was not a defined example of "for cause" conduct. In addition, if, as has been rumored, this wasn't Harold's first time down the sexual harassment path, likely any previous discipline would include a warning that he would be fired if there was another complaint against him. In short, they didn't fire a guy with four years left on his contract if they didn't have their ducks in a row.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're right. I'm wrong and I apologize.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, but where would they have crossed paths? I doubt either one spends much time in Bristol.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

Well, you can check out the 5-page lawsuit:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1031061espn1.html

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boy that Bonnie stays busy huh? [/this thread will be nuked soon]

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

A million bucks a year for six years? ESPN probably wanted out of that deal.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Wasn't that much -- "opportunity for compensation" includes potential income for sources outside of ESPN.

I'd still love to see the contract. The complaint is pretty bare bones, which is usually a good idea, unless you are trying to win a war of public opinion. For example, the NY Rangers suit against Mike Keenan had some great language.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Amen. Comparing this to what Tirico did over a long time, it's a joke. I'd sue the hell out of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted