1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harmon Killebrew: the end is near

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 13, 2011.

1. Sounds as though Harmon Killebrew is nearing death.

Issued a statement that says his battle with canceris coming to a sad end.

I hope do doesn't suffer.

2. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Re: Harman Killibrew: the end is near

Harmon Killebrew.

3. Re: Harmon Killibrew: the end is near

Damn.....what a brutal week of sports deaths.

God Bless You, #3.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Re: Harmon Killibrew: the end is near

This just struck me...I can't think of another major leaguer with the first name Harmon or the last name Killebrew.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Killebrew was my favorite player as a kid, starting during that great AL pennant race in '67. So my dad would take me to see a Twins game at Yankee Stadium (the real, pre-renovation one) every year, and I'd get the Twins year book across the street at Manny's. In those days, the Twins always had family photos in the middle of the yearbook.

So in June 1970, wearing a tiny red Harmon Killebrew button, I went down by the visitors dugout during BP and Killebrew came over to sign autographs. There wasn't a big crowd, maybe four or five of us, but I was only 12 and he noticed my button and started talking to me. He got a big kick out of it when I inquired as to the health and well being of each his kids and his first wife by name.

It was the only autograph I've ever requested, signed on the score sheet of that day's program with a mechanical pencil. (My dad always insisted we bring mechanical pencils for baseball score keeping because the little pencils they gave out a) didn't have erasers, and b) might break.) So, thanks, Harmon, you made this 12-year-old kid about as happy as a kid can be that night.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

This is going to sound very, very strange, but I had a dream the other night that my wife and I were out and I met Harmon Killebrew. I forgot where we were or what we were doing, but I was losing my mind and couldn't fully explain to my wife how great a player he was.
    I'm 30, but I grew up reading everything I could about baseball. I had some old-school game with paper discs and they spun and you scored out a game and he was one of the players on it, so he was a name that always stuck with me.
    Hopefully he's at peace with everything in life and things end painlessly for him.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I went to Twins' games at the old Met and remember those painted seats in the upper deck where some of the homers he launched landed. Those were moon shots.

Harmon, Halsey Hall, Herb Carneal, Bob Casey, Bob Allison, Zoilio Versalles, all gone ...

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That mid-'60s team ... a lot of people aren't going to remember how great that group was.

Like Orville, I hope he is made as comfortable as possible.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. shockey

shockey Active Member

'batting third, playing first base, number 3, HAR-MON KILL-A-BREW.'

I always have to hear bob sheppard in my head when i hear the brewname. my dad took me to several twins-yanks games at yankee stadium in the late '60s... whatta lineup. oliva-killebrew was as lethal a 1-2 as there was for a stretch. oliva, what an all-around talent until his knees betrayed him. remember my dad raving when we saw him score from first on a long single... good times.

and what a great, compact stroke killebrew had. a pure power hitter in the jim thome realm. and a great name we just don't get much anymore, right up there with, 'MICK-EE MAN-TEL.'

good times. i hope his suffering doesn't last much longer. he was known as the gentlest of giants (not that he was huge in size, just in production), a sweet-hearted man...

11. hunter121

hunter121 New Member

I hope he is made as comfortable as possible.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Very sad news. I hope this baseball legend's final days are as comfortable as possible.

Oh, and screw cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted