1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hardly a fair fight. Six men against one bear. Men win. Barely (bearly?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Sep 11, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080910.wbearAttack0910/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview

The bear was standing, doggedly gripping its victim with its teeth and front paws while four men tried to pry it off with fishing gaffs – strong poles with hooks designed for lifting heavy fish – with such force that they bent the poles. Another man was beating the animal's head with a hammer before he picked up a 10-centimetre blade and stabbed it repeatedly.

Mr. Stirling pleaded with the other man to stop annoying the bear with his “tiny” knife, then stepped forward with his chosen weapon, a Swedish filleting knife with a 30-cm blade.

“I was saying, ‘Where is his head?' When I could see his throat, I reached in stabbing. I could hear blood flowing. I figured I got his jugular.”

Bear put up a helluva fight.

The weird thing is, the bear jumped right on to the boat.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Canadian fishermen > Philly subway riders

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fucker was hungry. Tell me you wouldn't jump on a hobo's back and start gnawing on him if you hadn't eaten Quizno's for a few days.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have seen black bears before in the wild, and most of the times a little noise will drive them away. Of course, I always look for the cubs.

Who has a 30 cm knife? Lord.

I'm glad Lothar of the Hill People was around.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, in all fairness, it is in the middle of the wilderness, 2 hours from Victoria.

I suspect a lot of people there have knives that size.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That's not a knife ... This is a knife.

7. jps

jps Active Member

beat me to it, bp ... md approves.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Victor the Wrestling Bear grew ornery and hungry after he lost his job at the circus.
    Homeless and desitute, he took to roaming the Canadian wilderness. He purchased a small hunting cabin near Port Renfrew with the last of his savings and seemed content to live a quiet life of lonely squalor, living off the land while trying to forget the sordid circumstances that led to his career's demise.
    Then, one day, he saw HIM. The man responsible for it all. Even without the mask, he knew the voice, the mannerisms. It was The Destroyer. No doubt. Victor had longed for this day for 20 long years, never expecting it to happen but always hoping. Fate had brought them together again, and now fate would decide their feud's end.
    Victor quietly swam across the lake, silent as a fish lurking under the surface. He crept up on the boat and vaulted out of the water, latching on to his nemesis with savage fury.
    It was on.
    Only one would live to see the sunrise tomorrow, and Victor was determined it would be him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted