1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hardest Accent to replicate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by longjumper42, Nov 13, 2006.

?

Since we're on the topic accents....which is the hardest to duplicate

1. Irish

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Russian

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Boston

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. English

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Middle Eastern

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. longjumper42

longjumper42 Member

Since this thread is all about actors who can't do a good accent, I am wondering which you think is the hardest to replicate.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Boratian.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Boston. If you're not from there, don't bother trying -- you'll likely fail and fail miserably. See Costner, Kevin.

4. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

F) South Bostonian. see Ward Burton.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As a southerner who went to college in Boston, I've heard many of my southern friends brutalize a Boston accent when the subject of my schooling comes up. Truly, truly horrendous...about as bad as a Bostonian trying to imitate a Southerner.

One place to start if you're trying to use a Boston accent is to decide if you're going for the working-class (Johnny Most, Click and Clack) accent or the Brahmin-elite accent (Kennedys). They're pretty different.

Hardest one to replicate though? My vote goes to the New Orleans accent, white-people version. Irish and Italian influences make this very weird when comapred to other Southern accents. I thought the characters in Oliver Stone's JFK did a pretty good job with replicating this difficult accent, BTW.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Oklahoma. Not quite Texas, not quite Arkansas.

7. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I've done some community theaters and small independent movies and the most difficult on that list would be Irish, simply because it's so easy to slip into English or Scottish if you're not entirely focused.
    The most difficult of all for me has been South African. That unique combination of English and Dutch is very distinctive and difficult.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm just sorry that "boots' neighbor, mid-bang" isn't an option.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The next good Southern accent I hear in movies or television will be the first. Read: Someone shoot Kyra Sedgewick yesterday, please!

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

I think Irish and Middle-Eastern are practically interchangeable. Slow down the Arab, and you have Irish.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Whatever accent Leonard DiCaprio is attempting in "Blood Diamond." I've seen the trailer a couple of times and haven't figured out if it's Australian, South African or, gulp, French. That's how brutal it is. And I'm not a Leo-Hater.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Angelina Jolie's accent in 'Alexander.' She sounded like she was from Pottsylvania.
    Now go get moose and squirrel.

Draft saved Draft deleted