1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hardaway homophobia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Don't worry about him. He blames EVERYTHING on LeBron.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Hey, he 'fessed up to the lack of a 'not' in his comment.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm talkin' about heyabbot.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yeah, he said that as soon as the NAACP disavowed affirmative action he'd be a member since they are already against gays, abortion and immigration. He noted that McNabb spits, so maybe he's on the down low

5. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah, James was pussyfooting around what Hardaway came right out and said point blank.

I have to admit I'm getting a perverse laugh out of Tim's blunt honesty.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, but an apology is a gesture of goodwill, and those gestures used to go a long way in our society. Now, we're all so quick to react and take a side and stick to it, and we're not interested in gestures of goodwill -- especially when those gestures are half-hearted, as Tim's appeared to be.

But accepting a gesture of goodwill, if it's contrite, shows that the offended party(s) has the enlightenment/maturity to forgive the offender's mistake/ignorance.

It gives you a starting point to work through a situation. That's why apologies are necessary. It's also why half-hearted apologies are even bigger slaps in the face.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And most people aren't sincere nowadays, whether it comes to gestures, apologies, whatever. People typically apologize only when their hand is caught in the cookie jar.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Buck, if somebody volunteers an apology because he genuinely feels bad after the fact about what he said, then an apology has merit.

But when an apology is offered only on demand, it's such a hollow gesture.

And 99 percent of the public apologies fall under the latter category, yet we still have people clamoring for them. It's a waste of time, energy and emotion.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The reason we clamor for them publicly is because that's how we're used to doing things privately.

If you get in somebody's way, don't you usually say, "Excuse me," without even thinking about it? "I'm sorry." "My bad." "Oops, are you OK?" All of those are simple apologies that take nary an ounce on effort. And we say them every day. It's just a part of interacting with other people.

The problem is that we try to apply those familiar norms on a macro scale and ... it doesn't come out the same. It's not that apologies aren't warranted. It's that Hardaway or Rocker, et al, are trying to throw out a simple "my bad" for much larger transgressions.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did any of those people actually say they hated some other group of people? I don't remember Baker, White or Rocker going that far.

And did Malone even say anything about homosexuality? He expressed a fear of a deadly disease that showed some ignorance. Completely different than bigotry.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ahhhhhh..... the old "I'm sorry.... I got caught... apology."

12. Jim Murray

Jim Murray New Member

doesn't karl malone hunt, and hate black people?

Draft saved Draft deleted