1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Women's Day! Here are some boobs!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 14, 2013.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Best example I know of was in Kansas City. When KSHB was a Fox affiliate, it started a 9 p.m. newscast with "attitude." They didn't have a weatherman and the only sports would be the Royals score or the Chiefs score -- no highlights. The theme music was some sort of smooth jazz.

Then Fox took its affiliation to WDAF and KSHB became an NBC station. The first thing the news anchor said on the now-10 p.m. newscast on the first day as an NBC station amounted to "We'll keep bringing you the news in the same way we've been doing it at 41 for the past three years."

Within six months of that, the newscast became "41 Action News", both anchors were gone and only one reporter survived the transition. Regular weather. Regular sports. Regular newscast. Clearly, the blue hairs waiting for Leno to come on were having none of this "newscast with attitude."

WDAF became even more committed to news as a Fox affiliate. Now, it's showing local news about 10 hours a day, including from 4:30 to 10 a.m.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. They take orders from the top. Anybody who even dreams otherwise is a sucker.

2. They all want to get aboard the mothership. One of the best ways to do it is run lots of tit shots.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Shocking, I know.

The mothership for that station is Tribune Broadcasting. It is not Fox. Fox has no say whatsoever in the local programming of an affiliate that is not an O&O. Fox isn't giving orders to anyone there, and if they tried they would be laughed at.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

+1
    I've worked at a few NBC-affiliates. I don't remember getting memos from "the top brass."

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I worked at a Fox affiliate for years. And News Corp before that. I'm Starman's dream girl.

Those statements are asinine.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

i love boobs

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I too worked at a FOX affiliate. Never got a memo from the "mothership"
    doubt it would have been listened to if we had gotten one

Draft saved Draft deleted