1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Gee, I bet Houston wishes they'd held off on hiring Bo Porter now...

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Has he entered Matt Millen territory where his analysis will be mocked because he has turned into a clown?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because Francona will be managing my Indians!!!

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Was watching this as it happened. It was a true WTF moment. Assume they just had both features in the can and aired the wrong one. Oops.

http://deadspin.com/5949004/right-after-bobby-valentine-gets-fired-espn-runs-a-segment-about-why-hes-still-the-manager-of-the-red-sox

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I doubt it, just because his record of dismal failure is essentially just one year with the Red Sox, and even that has caveats and what not. Also, a baseball manager generally isn't seen as in-control as an NFL coach or GM. Millen had essentially a decade of failure, give or take a couple of years, and he's probably only matched by Elgin Baylor.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was a terrible idea from the jump for both parties for Valentine to be hired by the Sox, but it shouldn't affect his commentating career. It was pretty obvious from spring training on this gig wasn't going to work out. Color guys are entertainers, and he can do that.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I agree. Millen and Baylor's prolonged lack of success far outdoes what Valentine was able to do (or not do) in his year with Boston. He'll be back at ESPN soon enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted