1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Trails, Metrodome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Machine Head, Feb 21, 2013.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

The Georgia Dome isn't held up by air but by cables. The air-supported domes are, as previously mentioned, the Metro, Silver, Hoosier and Carrier domes.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The Georgia Dome has the open concourse I wish the Metrodome had.

As a Twins season ticket holder something great at the Metrodome was the Rally Room. This goes back to the late 80s into the 90s. The Rally Room had hand carved sandwiches, sides and mixed drinks. A big deal back then. The ladies who worked there had been with the Twins for years, going back to the Met, if memory serves. They were great.

The first game I took my son to he was stung by a bee as we were walking to the Dome. He was two. I went to the Rally Room to get some ice and the ladies took over. Put a raw onion on the sting. Took care of him and I just stayed out of the way.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And it's only 20 years old or so.

Ridiculous. Let them build it themselves if they want a new stadium so badly.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

I always liked the Metrodome a lot as a football venue. The press box seemed like it was right on top of the field and the place was really loud. Seemed like a terrific atmosphere for football.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thass right, thas right. Here's today's sports hero... Bubbler....

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Unless you were a Gopher fan.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The greatest moment in Iowa football history. Tearing down a goalpost at the Dome:

Sadly, they could not get the piece carted up the stairs out through the revolving door.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They've found a way to make it baseball-compatable. And the Hefty bag in right field could return!

"The right-field foul line will be 300 feet from home plate, with the power alley 341 feet away. To make it more difficult for batters to hit a home run to right field, a 35-foot wall or tarp will extend from the foul line to the power alley."

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/192631131.html?refer=y

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

You Gopher fans are slipping. Nothing about the Iowa fans arrested for gettin' their Herky on in the Metrodome bathroom?

Not that I have any, uh, specific memories about that ... :D

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I forget which Cities paper it was that did it, but "Corn Belted" is one of my favorite headlines and it was from that game. Nice dig at both the Gophers and Iowa.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Was hoping someone would use "Deer Fucked" after the Big 10 Championship Game last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted