1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy trails, A.J. Carr

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Mar 26, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

A.J. sounds like someone I'd like to meet.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Without question.

And FDP, you know Dro wouldn't have left A.J. hanging. But not the least bit surprised he fired off that one-liner.

3. Sammi

Sammi Member

Let us all strive to be the journalist and moreso, the person that AJ Carr is. The absolute nicest man I have met on the sports beat. Hope to see him in Salisbury in May.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm just repeating what everyone else has said, but it can't be said enough what a great guy A.J. is. Just reading his name on here made me smile, and I haven't smiled a whole lot this week.

5. accguy

accguy Member

I was going to share the same Dro story. Of course he wouldn't have left him hanging.

A.J. is one of the nicest human beings I have ever known.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The more comprehensive story:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1460137.html

7. apseloser

apseloser Member

Hope this doesn't mean more bylines for the other dreadful writers on that staff. Paper didn't have much after A.J., who is indeed a great one.

8. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I grew up in Raleigh and my mornings weren't complete without the N&O sports section ... AJ truly is one of the great ones ... best wishes ...

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Echo all the sentiments above. Great guy the one time our paths crossed.
    Have fun in retirement, Mr. Carr.

10. DavidPoole

DavidPoole Member

AJ was a guy who was as pleasant in the 8th inning of a 14-3 college baseball game that nobody cared about as he was at an ACC basketball championship game. He is nice, but it goes beyond that. He's nice because that who he is, not because that's how he thinks he's supposed to be.

11. Just wanted to pass this along for anyone who has worked with A.J. Carr. He's now a contributor to GoPack.com, NC State's athletics Web site. His first story was on Michael Lemon, the UGA transfer who has seen his share of trouble and tragedy over the last few years.

http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=204799464

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Good for him.

It sounds like that's the future for good sportswriters: Working for college athletic websites. Maybe it's job security ... but I wonder what the working conditions are like. I'm guessing you write what they tell you to write, and investigative (negative) stories would be spiked. Can anyone on the board shed some light on what a job like this would be like?

Draft saved Draft deleted