1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Nov 26, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I agree. The day is a sad one, a reminder of the many who were once at the table.

PaperDoll likes this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Feeling grateful for a lot of things.

@justgladtobehere, I am sorry you're experiencing whatever it is that's making you feel this way. Loss is tough this time of the year. I hope you find some peace and maybe a little happiness this week.

Edited to add that I hope everyone finds some light this week. For me, it's going to be peaceful and I am grateful for that.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the folks for which Thanksgiving is a downer. I truly hope you can find some alternative companionship.

Luckily, my mom is still chugging along and will be making a 20 lb turkey for the extended family. I enjoy seeing my extended family and sharing turkey and stuffing. I can't get blitzed though because I've got to drive home. And seeing my two boys come home the past couple of days from college is heartwarming.

I understand losing people, but usually the birth rate is supposed to exceed those that are gone?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

this thread is depressing as fuck

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I haven’t been back for a family Thanksgiving since my Uncle Frank punched my Aunt Kay in the face and broke her jaw 19 years ago. They found Frank hanging in his closet six days later.

upload_2019-11-26_18-45-2.jpeg

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving was always busy for me
    For more than 20 years I went to the Lions game
    When I was on strike I covered it for the strike paper, The Detroit Sunday Journal
    When I was working, I’d head to work straight from the game
    I worked every Thanksgiving so I could have Christmas off
    That said, I like it now that I’m spending the holiday with my sister in Florida
    Thanksgiving was always the time of year winter started, although I see it came early this year

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's tough missing my mother, who passed nearly three years ago. But as I was sitting in a Denny's by myself eating at 1 a.m. after driving four hours to cover a state playoff game, I noticed several lonely looking people and wondered if they had family to be with on Thanksgiving. I definitely felt lonely. But I knew I has heading home the next day where my soulmate was waiting. Every day is Thanksgiving for me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with this, as much as society says I should. Not to lose perspective - I think I'm thankful for the things that count - but I don't see much to celebrate.

Sorry. Not trying to be depressing, but I'm not really into those trying to tell me otherwise. We're all entitled to our feelings and our outlook.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've been damn lucky my whole life long and still am. The only things that have gone really wrong were my own damn fault. I miss my parents and always will, but my son and his girlfriend will be with us, my daughter will Skype from France and I will again give thanks for a whole bunch of stuff I almost surely do not deserve. I am sorry for those who grieve at holiday time. I know it's damn tough to feel you're going against the flow of everybody else. I hope there are times each year when the flow runs your way towards happiness and thankfulness.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I’m thankful you owe me $500 for Eli Manning eventually making Canton. As long as a man owes you, you can never be poor :)

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You're still invited to the party I'm throwing with the $500. In fact, you're the guest of honor.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Smells like somebody is planning to welch on a lost bet.

Draft saved Draft deleted