1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy New Year!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Dec 31, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know where else to put this, so: Holy shit, Avril Lavigne got HOT. Wow.

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Happy New Year. And let's make the first job dismissal the person who thought it would be a good idea to trot out Dick Clark.

Please. Enough.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

On one hand, it is obvious that showing up for New Years Eve keeps him alive the other 364 days. On the other, man, it gets more depressing every year. He actually looked plastic this year.

4. Each year, I cringe more at the other acts and Seacrest and find myself looking more forward to Dick Clark's reduced appearance. I've had this discussion/debate on here before, but for a group of people such as myself, and folks in an even older generation, Clark's appearance isn't sad or depressing at all. It's inspiring.

I can take a walk into old fart-land here, but I was a lot more uncomfortable watching Ke$ha with her silly lipstick and mannequin-like personality than I was watching a man brave enough to do what he loves but wise enough to realize he can only do it in a greatly reduced role. The clicking around New Year's Eve shows included one host getting a faux fur coat from a male revue dancer in Vegas and all those vapid "interviews" by Jenny McCarthy and this is what depresses people?

I think he's found a fair balance. I also think there are millions of people watching who are older or have had something happen in their life that affects them and breaks them apart from the norm, and that those people will be a lot more depressed if Clark bows out just because he doesn't sound perfect anymore. And, again, without quite reaching actual old fart-land, I still find myself looking forward to his cameos and inspired by his ability to keep going. There's something there that's missing from the rest of the whole spectacle -- substance.

In any case, happy new year, all.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Happy New Year everyone! Go Badgers!

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

To all of the great people here at SportsJournalists.com, Happy New Year.
    May 2011 be the best year of all our lives.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

We're all going to be cheering a Brewers World Series title in October/November? :D

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Happy New Year everyone. I wish lots of happiness and good health to all my message board friends in 2011. Be safe and well 3bags.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Happy New Year to all, and I hope at this time next year, I'll be employed and coming up with a whole new source of material to complain about on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted