1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

happy gh3 day!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Oct 28, 2007.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Guitar Hero 2 was the most addicting video game I've ever played, and I still couldn't beat expert. I'm still bitter about that.

Honestly, is it worth the money for GH3? I think it is, but I'm trying to resist the temptation...

2. I'm trying to resist the temptation myself. The lag I have with my new HDTV has given me the strength. Very difficult to play well in this situation.

"Calibrate lag?" Gimme a break.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yes it is worth the upgrade

and there is a lag calibration on gh3

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I got GH2 for my sister for Christmas last year, except I stole it for about 2 weeks after she got it. Still couldn't be expert, though.

I'll ask my mom what she's getting the little punk this year. I just may plunk the $40 down at Best Buy and get it for her.

5. HDTV lag is a serious issue. Just sayin.

The "calibrate lag" option is basically fake. Doesn't work.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I've had no problems with GHII.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i just fuckin' rocked one... but goddamn, the slayer song is impossible. at least for my lame-ass gh skills

8. Rocked it on what? Easy?

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Damn, I kind of grew out of the video game phase a few years back. But this Guitar Hero shit is like crack. I first discovered the game in the fall of '06 during my first semester of college...lots of friends owned it and it really is the perfect after-party or after-work game, relaxing with a few beers and buddies and unwinding. I put down the money and picked it up at midnight last weekend, as soon as it came out. (while anxiously listening to Game 3 of the WS on the radio)

The track list is, as usual, top-notch as I know most of these songs off the top of my head and even the ones I don't recognize are typically good. Playing some of my favorite songs like "My Name is Jonas", "One", "Welcome to the Jungle", and "Sunshine of Your Love" is awesome. Some of the metal material gets difficult real quickly. I've already mastered Easy and Medium and I'm beginning the Hard section on career mode. Expert is the next step up but absolutely insane. I don't know if I'll ever be able to truly master it, but who knows. Every time I try it I seem to get booed off stage pretty damn quickly.

The only thing I wish they included was a create-a-guitarist mode, although they do give you a healthy selection to choose from, including Slash from Guns N Roses and Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave once you beat them in individual battles during career mode. (which is not at all easy, but an excellent addition to the series)

Buy this game, or the first or the second for a cheaper amount. It's pricey (I've seen the package, including the guitar and the game, range anywhere from 60-90 dollars in retail stores), but certainly well worth the money if you're a music/rock fan and want a very fun and interactive challenge.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I just spent a good part of the last two days playing this fricking game at a friend's house.

It IS addicting as crack. I went from not even wanting to play it to playing it non-stop for like three hours.

I was able to hit 260 straight notes on One and then capped off my performance by actually getting through all of Raining Blood. Yeah, they were on easy but I still rocked the house.

Looks like I'll be searching for this here in the coming days. Like I need another reason to sit in front of the TV.

Also, here's a YouTube link to a kid who supposedly has perfected playing the hardest song in the game on expert. I think he cheated, but I don't know all the ins and outs of it. It's still amazing to watch. I have a hard time believing even Yngwie J. Malmsteen could play this from start to finish.

Draft saved Draft deleted