1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Fourth weekend. How are you spending it?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'm spending it at the Adirondack amusement business Mrs. MMSW and I are running for the summer. And basically, we're spending it alone.

The state camprgound, 300 feet down this dead-end road, is closed for 10 days because of flooding. There's a line of RV's and trucks backed up to our entrance. They'll find out when they get to the gate that they need to find somewhere else to go.

Our big lake is full of debris and empty of boats. A 60-foot-long tree has sidled up next to our 150-foot dock. I don't supposed he'll pay the docking fee for non-customers.

The newspaper fouled up and ran the wrong ad, with our off-season hours, in the summer guide, and forgot to place our weekend advertising, apparently, since it's not in today's newspaper. (Same newspaper forgot to run our ad on opening day.)

Two monthly tourism guides apparently aren't going to be out in time for the weekend.

But the peace and quiet will be nice. It'll give me time to think about how we've been closed because of weather more than we've been opened and figure out if there's any possible way of making back what we invested (let alone, make money).

*sigh*

So, *raises glass* Happy Fourth, everyone. Stop by if you're in town. We'll leave the light on for ya.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm spending it with my fiancee. I proposed last night, and she said yes. :D

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Might want to NSFW that.

And congrats, Doc.

I'm about to go on vacation -- going to visit some friends and family, play some golf and drink a few beers.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Congrats Doc.

I was gonna go see my grandparents, but after balancing my checkbook, I decided to stay in town and pack some more of my apartment for my move to the other side of town. I'm such a looser!

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

mazel tov!! 8) 8)

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Sitting on my couch, watching the World Cup, studying microeconomics and regression analysis.

I have time to do all this because my girlfriend broke up with me from another continent last week.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks everyone. And Happy Independence Day! (even though I just surrendered mine. :D)

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Happy 4th of July weekend everyone! I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday. I'll be working, unfortunately, but I'm sure I will have fun nonetheless.
    I can cooroberate the good Doc's statement. He did propose last night, and I did say yes! Thanks for all the well-wishes.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

regretably, i just watched the last 30 minutes of the movie independence day. gawd what a shitty movie, although i think i enjoyed it when i saw it last. i think this week is the first time i've seen it since it was in theaters 11 years ago but it occured to me that they still have one big problem at the end. after all those massive spaceships crashed to the ground, surely a lot of the aliens on the ships are still alive, right?. what're they gonna do with them?

rest of the weekend: marlins-red sox game tonight, including some tailgating. heading to tampa for a couple days tomorrow to see some friends and take in a florida state league game in clearwater on monday and check out the area. the wife isn't into going to baseball games but because these two games are with other couples, she's into it.

11. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I have to work today and tomorrow so I can have Tuesday off.

WTF ??? ???

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You mean the part when the president hops into the aircraft to fight the aliens himself? What a concept!

Draft saved Draft deleted