1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Confederate Surrender Day!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by goalmouth, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

What about Robert E. Lee High?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"We've only had 15 casualties so far, and we're going to get that down to zero," -- Jeff Davis

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"I wasn't on the battlefield, so I don't consider it a loss."
    --Jefferson Davis, shortly after Gettysburg

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love that there are still “It WaSn’T aBoUt SlAvErY!!!!” people the same way I love that one of my Facebook friends thinks Coronavirus is a made-up thing being used by Trump and John F Kennedy Jr. for cover as they rescue sex slave mole children from tunnels in New York City and prepare to arrest and execute Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

Fred siegle and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

“We’re gonna get this Army charging back by May1. This Confederation wasn’t built to be shut down.”
    — J. Davis

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I have found that when dealing with the "It wasn't about slavery, it was about state's rights" nonsense, that the Texas Declaration of Secession I posted shuts that down fast. First two paragraphs declare the date and where they're meeting. Para three throws down that it's all about slavery, in language that is stark and bald in its racism.

It gets hard to argue against pretty quickly.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I like soldiers who don't get killed to protect my right to own slavvv, errr, defend state rights," -- Jeff Davis

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Still there.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Of course, to be a pedant, the last Confederate forces west of the Mississippi didn't surrender until June.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There’s a book that describes the efforts the initial confederate government went through to convince other states to secede. Written documents all starting with keeping slavery. They sent delegations to various State capitols to convince them to fight for the right to keep and own slaves.

Directly refuting the neo-Confederate contention that slavery was neither the reason for secession nor the catalyst for the resulting onset of hostilities in 1861, Charles B. Dew finds in the commissioners' brutally candid rhetoric a stark white supremacist ideology that proves the contrary. The commissioners included in their speeches a constitutional justification for secession, to be sure, and they pointed to a number of political "outrages" committed by the North in the decades prior to Lincoln's election. But the core of their argument―the reason the right of secession had to be invoked and invoked immediately―did not turn on matters of constitutional interpretation or political principle. Over and over again, the commissioners returned to the same point: that Lincoln's election signaled an unequivocal commitment on the part of the North to destroy slavery and that emancipation would plunge the South into a racial nightmare

Fred siegle and tapintoamerica like this.
  11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Amazon image isn't showing for me.

The book is "Apostles of Disunion."

Very compelling.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bullshit.
    The United States was codified through the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The South wasn't being ruled by a despot an ocean away who was making up the rules as he went along. The Southern states were in open rebellion against a government and a system they agreed to join. They were never an independent nation. They were terrorists.
    Grant would have been within his rights to stand Lee and his general staff against the wall at the Appomattox courthouse and shot them all.

SFIND, Fred siegle and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted