1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday to The King

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Favorite Elvis pop song: Suspicious Minds
    Favorite Elvis gospel song: How Great Thou Art
    Favorite Elvis country song: Make The World Go Away

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Depends on my mood. Sometimes Return to Sender, sometimes Stuck on You, sometimes Blue Christmas.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Elvis did perform in Toronto (my mother was there) and - I believe - Ottawa or Vancouver before he went in the Army but that was it for shows outside the US.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

There have been stories that Elvis wasn't wealthy, by entertainment standards, when he died.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fave cover of an Elvis song: gotta be "Suspicious Minds" by Dwight Yoakum. Springsteen's "Viva Las Vegas" is pretty good too.

Fave songs about Elvis: "Elvis Is Everywhere" (obviously) and "Going To Graceland" by the Dead Milkmen.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I would have been safer saying Europe. And favorite song about Elvis: He Ate Too Many Jelly Donuts, by Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

He might have been a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me, you see straight up racist that sucker was simple and plain. Mother fuck him and John Wayne.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I thought this was a salute to Triple H.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I heart PE. And I think this world needs more Chuck D than Flavor Flav. But he got that all kinds of wrong ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/11/opinion/11guralnick.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

See this is why I like coming to this site (along with all the ladies!!!).

I learn something every day. Thanks Inky. Good article.

11. That section of the "comeback" TV special where he sits around in the black leather jacket and plays the oldies with his old band is still one of the greatest performances I've ever seen on TV, especially "One Night With You." I'm also a sucker for his late-period hits, especially "Kentucky Rain."
    Man could rock.

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

"Burnin' Love"
    That song is great in so many ways.

Draft saved Draft deleted