1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday to a great musician

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Michael Bolton is a no-talent ass clown. [Michael/Bolton].

As far as kenny G, it's just muzak.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

See, now I can't tell if boots is joking or not.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Figure out which way would be most apt to go against the mainstream. That would be the answer.
    In this case, most people think Kenny G is a sappy, boring musician, playing music better suited for airports and elevators.
    Therefore, ....

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was a huge Connick fan from his debut through the so-so Blue Light, Red Light, which had some good playing but was, for the most part, a lame collection of originals.

To these ears, She and Star Turtle were shockingly bad (especially She). For a guy from New Orleans he seemed to have absolutely no grasp of that city's deep funk and R&B tradition. It was as misguided a change in direction as I can think of.

Since then, though, I think he's redeemed himself whether it's the Only You album or the very strong Oh, My Nola.

5. My favorite Norm McDonald line from Weekend Update. Thanks, BYH

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

He's no Zamfir

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Of course not, Zamfir is a Master of the pan flute. Kenny G is just Kenny G.

8. boots

boots New Member

I like Kenny G. The music is easy to hear. I find nothing wrong with that.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And that works for you. But not everyone likes it for many reasons listed above.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Kenny G and Zamfir backing Pia Zadora's vocals would force any holed-up fugitive to come running to give himself up.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In Zamfir's defense (and those are three words I could not imagine writing before today, really) he has done some decent soundtrack work, including Once Upon a Time in America.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, granted, he's better than Slim Whitman and Jim Nabors in the K-tel ouevre.

Draft saved Draft deleted