1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy birthday, King

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My mom had Aloha From Hawaii (Via Satellite!) and it was one of my favorites when I was little. Starts off with the "2001" theme and goes right into "CC Rider." Epic is the right word.

Driftwood and garrow like this.
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Aloha From Hawaii was pretty much my first introduction to Elvis. I watched it with my dad. And I was with my dad in his blue Ford Maverick when we heard the news of Elvis' death. So I get a little sad when I listen to Elvis, because Dad and I had that connection, and Dad's been gone several years now.

But yeah, when Elvis was good, he was the best.

Kato and Jake from State Farm like this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

One of the greatest double-sided singles ever.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Twenty years or so ago, Rolling Stone had a big issue with several articles on Elvis. On the cover, he was in his gold lame suit, which was pretty sweet. But the best part was a photo of a young Elvis open-mouth french kissing this one stunning deb. In the article, it said the Col. put an end to pictures like that — probably to keep the illusion in young girls' minds that Elvis could be theirs — and started controlling every aspect of the public Elvis.

I liked his song as the theme for "Las Vegas."

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought it was amazing Elvis was as successful as he was with a two-bit carney barker like Col. Tom guiding him
    Of course, Elvis never stood up to him

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Tom Parker:Barry Switzer
    The King: 1994/1995 Cowboys

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Outing Alert: DSD writes test questions for the SAT ...

Draft saved Draft deleted