1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday, Double Down!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Dec 21, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Someone smarter and funnier than I will have to try to outdo the master on his thread. It ain't gon' be me.

It's going to get schmaltzy, though, so you can skip to the stupid picture at the end if you don't care.

DD, I met you in the media room at Dover, and you extended a kindness I still don't know if I can repay. From beers in DC to beers in Rehoboth Beach to long e-mails and PMs making me feel better when stupid boys made me feel worse...you've been a better friend to me than I deserve.

And to get all that support and friendship from someone I truly admire, a great in this business who is better than I could hope to be on my best day X 10, well, it's a joy. And I feel truly lucky to know you, to have laughed with you (many a time) and to feel like I can reach out to you any time.

I'm glad you're back here, even if it's not as often. Your posts on The Wire are what stuck in my craw and finally got me to watch (sorry, Zeke). When you deconstruct something, you do it better than just about anyone else here.

You make this a better place, and you've made me a better person. So thank you. And much love to you and your family today.

Stay warm.

(stupid picture people, welcome back)

[​IMG]

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

A wonderful tribute, ijag.

I'll just add my warm regards and wishes for a great birthday, Double Down. All the best on this and every day. :)

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Maybe you'll get a birthday wish and this guy will take the UNLV job:

[​IMG]

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Which Double Down are we talking about?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

DD...

Since I have snow up to my knees still, I can't get out to buy you a shot. I also tried to get some of your old friends together, but it all fell apart on me. You see, here's what happened. First, I went looking for the biggest griz...

[​IMG]

No lie, here's what he told me: "What?! A reporter?! You want me to say 'happy birthday' to a reporter? Fine, but he better not even try to ask me a question."

So then I tracked down this couple...

[​IMG]

And they told me "Double Down? He combines elegance with a little style that suggests hip, but not pretentious. Of course we hope he has a happy birthday." To which Christian added he plans to design you a birthday suit. Victoria Beckham just wants you to look at her tits.

Believe it or not I also ordered you a birthday cake. Another buddy of our's was going to go pick it up. But then he had an accident along the way.

[​IMG]

Of course, I had no idea there'd be that sort of problem. So while that went on, I got together with another friend to pick you up a present. But son of a bitch just when I thought we had the perfect item, they wouldn't sell it to me.

[​IMG]

Never fear though, because to make up for the birthday cake debacle, our friend came back with something that would make you forget that sugary icing and everything else.

[​IMG]

I thought better of it though. Instead I figured you'd want to get a beer and talk about the good old days. I walked into the bar, and for some reason Van Halen was playing.

[​IMG]

But since you're now happily married, I figured we'd go someplace more relaxed to talk about football.

[​IMG]

"Did you say, 'happily married?' Then come on in, boys."

But again, I figured I would pass. Eventually another friend started warming up to the idea of hanging out, and he brought some friends out for a party.

[​IMG]

"Come on, guys! Our man Double Down has lots of reasons to party, and so we're going to do it! And we're all going to get laid! Wait, he's on the east coast now? Hmmm, I might have to pass on that after all. I promised my guys we were all going to score, and everyone knows we can't pull that off over there."

[​IMG]

"Whatchaya'll mean you ain't coming out east, mother fucker? Git yo ass out this way."

[​IMG]

"Gee, I, uh, am not sure he even wants me to hang out. But I did get a card and passed it out to everyone."

[​IMG]

"And we all signed it and I put it in the mail for you! Shit, the FedEx guy picked it off though. Oh well, sorry dude."

So you can see, man, I tried to do my part to help make this birthday even better than it was shaping up to be. But it all fell apart on me. So, happy birthday!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow Happy B Day to one of my board favs.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Awesome tribute folks to an awesome guy.

Double Down, I would like to extend my own schmaltzy greeting to you on this glorious day. I can remember having my breath taken away a number of times by reading some of your works on this board. I can remember your amazing putdowns of people who've deserved them and can be proud to witness your clever approach to them.

But most of all, I've never forgotten the kindness you showed me after I posted my "Go Your Own Way" story, or the amazing way you encouraged all writers who have felt discouraged that someone else was so much better than they were when that might not have been true.

To say you're "one of the good'uns" on this board would be to damn you with faint praise. You're one of the pillars of this community. Without you, this board is a lesser place. Thank you, and may this day and all your days be as rewarding for you as our knowing you has been for us.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The original, not the '68 cover.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Happy birthday, DD. You're the best.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

To the man who gave the gift of http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Whiskeytown/similarartists, I say thank you and hope you enjoy the day.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I couldn't decide what to get you, so I'm just going to out you on Twitter.

Happy Birthday, DD.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Happy birthday to a dude who brought us the Muppets, and great birthday tributes.

Among other things.

I'll leave the photo-laden tributes to those with more talent and creativity than me.

Draft saved Draft deleted