1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Birthday, Bobby Orr....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Mar 20, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My first crush is 60.

[​IMG]

I'd hit it.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Never heard of a guy named Gretzky? :D

Orr is on my top 10 list of favourite interviews.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Jordan played in Washington out of ego and greed (boosting attendance and franchise value) when he had a piece of the action.

Gretzky still was terrific player who had many productive seasons after leaving Edmonton.

Orr finishing up with Chicago was just wrong. And I was a Chicago fan.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

His agency represents a couple of kids on the team I work for and I see him at games a couple of times a year and he never fails to introduce himself as if a 42-year-old red-blooded Canuckistani boy wouldn't know who he is. He's a class act.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And how can you have a tribute to Orr without posting what is arguably one of the greatest photos in the history of any sport:

[​IMG]

Oh, and if you're ever in Parry Sound, Ontario the Bobby Orr museum is terrific.

It's part of the Charles Stockey Centre for the Performing Arts, a fabulous concert hall where HC has performed.

Only in Canada could you have Chamber Music and a hockey museum in the same building

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Flash

Flash Guest

Beats this by a hair:

[​IMG]

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

The henderson shot is more about the history - not a particularly tough shot to get if you're a pro

The Orr shot - as a photo - is almost a work of art

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't agree. Both pics demand being in the right place at the right time and having a good trigger finger, a great eye and an expectation for the shot.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

I didn't mean to diminish (Frank Lennon's?) shot from 1972 - but when you look at the Orr shot, there's so much more animation going on, from Orr, to Picard to and perhaps especially the crowd reaction.
    I don't think you have to be a hockey fan to get the thrill of the Orr shot, whereas the Henderson shot is jubo you see nightly. Again, the history of the moment is greater than the actual shot.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Orr shot.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Indeed. Alan Eagleson will burn in hell.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The greatest ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted