1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Anniversary, 1980 U.S. hockey team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The actor/player who played Buzz Schneider was Buzz Schneider's son.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

They have a great movie with Kurt Russell (following a made-for-TV quickie with Karl Malden, and a then-unknown Steve Guttenburg (!!!) as Jim Craig) and we have.....a two-part mini-series on CBC that took almost 35 years to make, and wasn't all that overwhelming when we finally saw it.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When I first saw it, I was ready to crack on it given that Disney could have completely screwed this up.

About the only real crack is that they couldn't capture Herb Brooks' saltiness. They walked as close to the edge as a Disney film will probably ever go - there was some minor language - but otherwise, I couldn't find too many other faults.

Without question a favorite film of mine. I don't own too many DVDs, but I have that one. "Miracle" for drama, "Slap Shot" to simply laugh and laugh and laugh.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Herb Brooks parted his hair on the right. Always. In Miracle, Russell's hair is parted on the left. Disconcerting.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The same thing happened at a Cedar Rapids station:

http://www.kcrg.com/sports/85015122.html

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

First player from the team to pass away:

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Did not know this until just now. Thanks for the link, YF.

Saw a pre-Olympics interview with Mr. Suter and he indicated at that time he wasn't planning on going to Sochi unless the United States team advanced far into the tournament. The Americans played for bronze and I think I do recall seeing a television shot of him in the stands.

RIP, Mr. Suter.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was Suter the one whose son played him in the movie?

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Could be wrong but when this thread was originally humming four years ago, I believe someone indicated it was Buzz Schneider's son who played his father.

Draft saved Draft deleted