1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 90th birthday, Rev. Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/ap_on_re_us/billy_graham_5

Son Franklin says Graham is no longer able to minister to presidents, but wants to meet with Obama and pray with him.

Regardless of beliefs, Graham is a wonderful person and a hero to millions over the past 70 years. God bless you, Mr. Graham.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I worked a few shows of his in 1993.
    He truly is a commanding speaker - he grabs you from the start and holds you to the finish.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What a superb human being.

It is telling when people who couldn't care less about religion respect Billy Graham. He has commanded that level of respect through all his worth over the years.

Live long and prosper, Mr. Graham.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The superb human being who nodded in agreement while Nixon was dropping anti-Semitic slur after anti-Semitic slur.

http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0-/module/displaystory/story_id/17853/edition_id/355/format/html/displaystory.html

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn right, we're off.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I think he learned and grew and became a reasonably tolerant person, within the confines of evangelical christianity.
    His son Franklin, however, is a real jerkoff.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Wasn't the first thing this kook did after Obama was elected was say how concerned he was about his views on gay marriage?
    As long as these zealots keep fueling the fire, this nation will always be divided about stupid shit that shouldn't be an issue.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Graham is indeed a superb human being.

He is the one person who understands the message he delivers more than the people who hear it. That's what makes him superb. There's not a holier than thou attitude about him as he knows the word he delivers states that all have sinned, and in God's eyes we are all equal. He's sinned, he's been wrong, he knows that. He doesn't hide it. He just tries to live his life to please the God he serves and not anyone on earth.

There's always those who disagree with his message, his views, but there are few who don't respect him (which is why he's been there for so many presidents). Obama is among them. Obama tried to meet with him but hasn't yet because of Graham's health. And, despite his differences with Obama, he probably would still be a pastor to him if he weren't old and frail, not because he disagrees with abortion and gay marriage (he disagreed with Clinton on similar issue,disgreed with Bush on the Iraq war).

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The link didn't work, F_B. It probably makes a good point - I can't say otherwise not having a chance to read it.

I didn't say Billy Graham is right about everything, nor do I agree with all his points. But when as many people from many different walks of life have as few bad things to say about one as anyone on the Earth that well-known, that's usually a pretty good sign that he's done much more good than otherwise.

10. Don't you figure that Graham has probably had differing opinions with every president he has ministered to over the past decades? And despite those opinions, he still prayed with them, ministered to them and spent valuable time with them. That's called caring, and love.

To call Billy Graham a zealot is wrong and insulting. To say he's responsible for "division" is inherently wrong. He's one of the most unifying, genuine and passionate people this planet has ever seen. He's a preacher, who preaches directly from the Bible. The same Bible that teaches against same-sex relations. That's why he believes that. Saying he's "concerned" about a certain issue with a president doesn't mean he has any less respect or desire to minister to that person.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Billy Graham is just another evangelist nut who has espoused anti-gay and anti-semitic viewpoints. Nothing more.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm related to Baptists on my mom's side and I do remember that Graham was a unifying figure- one that they all respected equally despite other internecine feuds.

I read his autobiography once and was very disappointed that it was little more than a laundry list of famous people he hung out with.

I can't bring myself to hate anyone who was close friends with Johnny Cash, but a lot about Graham is indefensible, the anti-Semitic Nixon episode being an example.

Draft saved Draft deleted