1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 70th, John

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Oct 9, 2010.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Screw Don McLean. Dec. 8, 1980 was the day the music died. Happy 70th birthday to one half of the greatest song writing team that has ever lived.

2. dieditor

dieditor Member

Amen to that. I know what my iPod will be playing today. And oddly enough, happy 35th to his son Sean.

3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Our local FM station is playing Lennon/Beatles at the top of every hour all weekend. The 8 AM PDT songs were "Across the Universe" and "Working Class Hero".

One of the greatest voices in rock history. See: "Money".

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've always been more of a Paul guy than a John guy (mainly because John basically quit caring about The Beatles after "Sgt. Pepper's" and started writing songs to impress Yoko), but you can't deny his greatness.

"You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" and "She Said, She Said" might be my two favorite Beatles songs of them all.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm 38.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You kind of have to believe that John & Yoko would have had to break up -- which I think was unlikely -- for John to resume writing incredible songs.

But it's still sad to think about what we missed out on.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Personally, I think some of his best writing was for his post-Beatle, solo albums.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Boy, I don't know about that. Double Fantasy had a couple really good songs, none better than this one:

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'll back up Double Fantasy. Plenty of strong songs - Lennon was just finding his groove again by 1980 after taking his five years off as "househusband".

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Puts a lump in my throat each and every time, especially his words at the end. Jesus.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember Dec. 6, 1980 as one of the only times I saw my parents both cry.

Here's hoping a guard gives another inmate a stick and lets him beat the hell out of Mark David Chapman today.

Draft saved Draft deleted