1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 5772!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Sep 29, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My place puts the donation tabs right on the ticket, from $100 to $50k. Not kidding. I base my donation on the president's speech, if he or she makes eye contact and it's entertaining and makes me laugh at least one, I'm in. The dullards reading off a notecard, zip. Plenty of other ways I can donate to the cause.

But to Ragu's point, I was raised strict conservative: no driving on the holiday, no writing, no telephones. Yet in keeping with the true chinese menu of the faith ('I'll take this and this but not that, okay, some of that but not so much of this...') we'd sneak into my grandmother's shul because my parents refused to spend money on something they could get for free. We also kept kosher, but with a set of plates for shrimp and/or anything with accidental bacon bits.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is dead-on nails. It's also the reason why I've let my temple membership lapse and why my 97-year-old father is doing the same -- at a temple he's been a member at for nearly 60 years and a temple he and my late mother used to run the youth group.

I'll never forget one Yom Kippur sermon from our longtime rabbi. It was basically taken from the Book of Gambino, which I didn't realize was a part of the Old Testament.

It was a brazen shakedown and demand for everyone to donate more money this next year. My outspoken aunt was so irate that at our break-the-fast, she nearly broke dishes and wouldn't stop talking about how inappropriate this was.

This also neatly explains why this MOT is lapsed, because that's what my recent experiences with a wonderfully warm and inclusive religion have become -- nothing more than a constant money grab.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

My experience differs a bit, there was always an overt asking for money but the sermons were always about the same thing: "They're going to destroy Israel and they are coming for the Jews which means you."

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Same and same.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Same and same.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, I haven't been in a synagogue in years. But that's my experience too, from what I remember when I was younger. The sermon always played to the audience, and as such, anything blindly pro Israel and anything that fed the audience's persecution complex was a staple. The artful rabbi could cloak it in a Torah story and wrapped it all up with a simplistic message about being a good person.

Draft saved Draft deleted