1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 50th, The Great One

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 26, 2011.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Always tough to compare eras when putting Ruth up against today's sluggers or Jim Brown against the backs of the 90's like Sanders and Smith (if Brown had a longer career it might have been a different story). But from a purely statistical standpoint, Gretzky's numbers stand alone. Ruth is no longer the homerun king and Brown is not the leading rusher. Gretzky's stats will likely never be touched in any era.

What's most impressive about Gretzky is that he is all of maybe 5-foot-7 and I remember reading once that the most he ever bench-pressed was around 160 pounds. The guy did what he did with the physique of a high school freshman.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

5'7"? Where did you pull that from?

He's 6'00 and his playing weight was around 185.

3. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

You're correct. He is listed at 6-0. For some reason I always thought he was much smaller.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Huggy Jr. and I were watching the many Gretzky segments TSN has been airing this week and after watching Gretzky dangle various Calgary Flames, Vancouver Canucks, or whatever, he remarked, "Daddy, you know what? Goalies then were crap!" And he's right, they all seemed to be big, stiff guys who were lost once they left their feet. Complete 180 from today.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Bobby Orr scoffs at all this talk about greatest player ever.

Gretzky has the mind-boggling numbers, yes, but Orr could do it all in every zone. The most complete and greatest player who ever lived.

It's just too bad we never got to see Orr break up a Gretzky-Kurri, bring the puck right back through the entire Oilers team, undress Paul Coffey and Charlie Huddy and then beat Grant Fuhr like a rented mule. Oh, and then he'd have beaten the shit out of Dave Semenko just to put the exclamation point on the issue. :)

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Break up a Gretzky-Kurri rush, rather. Sorry, I can't edit my post via the phone.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only one around here who saw Howie Morenz play. :)

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Weren't you junior teammates with Cyclone Taylor?

Or am I mixing you up with spnited and Hobey Baker at Princeton? :D

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Stood beside him last March. 5'7" is low, 6'0" is high. And while I know it's been over 11 years since he retired, I doubt he's anywhere close to 185 (if he ever was to start with).

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As a tyke!

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've seen him a bunch of times. He's probably around 5'9".

12. maberger

maberger Member

was he going to do that book with fischler?

Draft saved Draft deleted