1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 420 Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Roethlisberger got high instead of drunk, well I'm thinking he stays out of a lot more trouble than he gets into.

I have not seen too many police blotters that said the husband got high and beat his wife.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Read that it's a 14 billion dollar industry in California. Seems like legalizing it would give the state a lot of needed tax revenue.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

dammit, i already miss those 420 day carols. but i wish the stores wouldn't start putting up 420 day decorations so early. it just lessens the spirit of the season when you stretch it out too much.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Adults who drink and drive even once are worse than losers.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Adults who become serial killers are worse than worse losers.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

See I disagree. You could have a very upstanding citizen who has one too many and makes a poor decision under the influence of alcohol and I wouldn't say they are a worse person than someone who knowingly does an illegal drug.

That's one man's opinion though.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Steak/BJ Day > 420 Day

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm too busy preparing for Earth Day. Which should be a paid holiday, damn it!

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

And what if that person who makes that poor decision kills someone?

Well, guess what, even if that doesn't happen, it had the chance to because of some "poor judgment." There's no way someone smoking weed at home, not bothering anyone else, is worse than putting strangers' lives at risk.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate: What if that weed the guy smoking in his own home was brought in via Mexican drug cartels who are killing people left and right on both sides of the border? Isn't the smoker putting strangers' lives at risk by supporting drug cartels?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

This.

In fact, "This" in this particular instance has never been more appropriate on this forum.

12. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

A fair point. All the more reason to legalize it and tax it.

The only reason it was ever outlawed in the first place was because in the 1930s, white people didn't like that blacks and mexicans used it, so they hyped up the supposed sex/insanity/gateway angle (made famous in "Reefer Madness") to the drug to make it easy for the gov't to make it a controlled substance. The 1937 Marijuana Tax Act, where this all started, was basically an excuse to deport Mexican workers back to Mexico so there were more resources for unemployed whites during the depression.

Draft saved Draft deleted