1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 35th, Blazing Saddles

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micke77, Feb 27, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Much as I'm cautious not to just agree with Boom willy nilly, he's right on this one. Try submitting this script to a studio today.

Now, excuse me while I whip this out ...

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Maybe if you said that as you're presenting the execs with the script?

3. ArnoldBabar

The sheriff is near?

No, the sheriff is a (BOOOONNNNGGGG!!!!)

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll defer to Arnold's version.

5. ArnoldBabar

Damn, I need to see this again soon.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll watch it Sunday, if I think about it. I've been without view for a while. It's probably my third favorite of Brooks' behind Robin Hood: Men in Tights and Spaceballs.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

LePetomane: I didn't get a harrumph outta that guy.

Lamarr: Give the governor a harrumph!

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here's some interesting trivia. Mel Brooks put out the word that he wanted a Frankie Laine-type singer to do the theme song.....I guess he had "Rawhide" on his mind. Frankie Laine himself showed up. He recorded the song completely straight, no tongue in cheek, not realizing the movie was a spoof - and Mel didn't have the heart to tell him the truth.

More fun trivia. John Wayne was asked to play Taggart, the part that eventually went to Slim Pickens. Apparently the Duke laughed his ass off at the script and said it was way too dirty for him to seriously consider.....but he'd be first in line for tickets when it hit theatres.

9. Mongo only pawn in...game...of life.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Are you nuts? Young Frankenstein, History of the World Part I and High Anxiety are all better than Men in Tights.

11. EStreetJoe

Bart: [low voice] Hold it! Next man makes a move, the nigger gets it!
    Olson Johnson: Hold it, men. He's not bluffing.
    Dr. Sam Johnson: Listen to him, men. He's just crazy enough to do it!
    Bart: [low voice] Drop it! Or I swear I'll blow this nigger's head all over this town!
    Bart: [high-pitched voice] Oh, lo'dy, lo'd, he's desp'it! Do what he sayyyy, do what he sayyyy!
    [Townspeople drop their guns. Bart jams the gun into his neck and drags himself through the crowd towards the station]
    Harriet Johnson: Isn't anybody going to help that poor man?
    Dr. Sam Johnson: Hush, Harriet! That's a sure way to get him killed!
    Bart: [high-pitched voice] Oooh! He'p me, he'p me! Somebody he'p me! He'p me! He'p me! He'p me!
    Bart: [low voice] Shut up!
    [Bart places his hand over his own mouth, then drags himself through the door into his office]
    Bart: Ooh, baby, you are so talented!
    [looks into the camera]
    Bart: And they are so *dumb*!

12. EStreetJoe

Jim: What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny"? "Make yourself at home"? "Marry my daughter"? You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

Draft saved Draft deleted