1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 30th, Hank

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But doesn't an employee have the right to a ball as well?

Now, if an employee knocked over a fan in pursuit of the ball that's one thing. But there was no one around. Why shouldn't he (or any other employee) go for the ball?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't see it that way. He's only there at the behest of the team in an employment capacity, not as a fan, and technically, the team has rights to the ball if it ends up in an employee's hands. The team could claim that it was solely his job duties that gave him the access to get the ball, so I would think they would be within their rights.

And he can go for the ball ... but if his employer sees him get it in his work capacity, they have every right to ask for it, in my opinion.

It would be like claiming a stapler was mine because I found it on the floor in a hallway.

This controversy has gone on for many years. I might have been sympathetic for the dude regardless of my feelings above, until he pulled his own punk move and had Aaron sign the ball surreptiously. I don't care how much he gave to Aaron's foundation after the fact, that's a BS move, especially knowing that Aaron would have liked to have had the ball.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I sit corrected. Now, by all means, release the hounds on Selig, who frankly deserves bashing every chance we can find. Yes, the guy was insubordinate, but damn, why don't we foster a little good will among our employees?

Draft saved Draft deleted