1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy 30th, Hank

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 20, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

30 years ago today Henry Aaron belted homer No. 755 in the Brewers' win over the Angels. Mazel tov

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A thoroughly underrated event and a thoroughly underrated man. What I wouldn't give to see someone like him as the commissioner of baseball.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

For the life of me, I was like, who the hell is Hank on SportsJournalists.com.

You mean replace Bud Selig - the best commish ever? :)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought Hank Hill was much older. :-\

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Happy Birthday Mr. Scorpio! Would you like the doomsday device wrapped or bagged?

Oh, wait...

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Very funny story about what happened to the ball from 755.....

http://www.worthwhilemag.com/Blogs/2006/05/10/Homerun/

Two versions of the Golden Rule come to mind here. First, treat others as you would like to be treated. Second, the one with the gold gets to make the rules.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's a great BLOG!. Did Bud own the team back then? That sounds like a Selig-esque move.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Selig did indeed own the team then.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Actually, it was the Angels ownership that screwed this up, wasn't it? As much as it fits, I don't see that Selig really had any bearing on the guy getting fired.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why is that a punk move? Dude was employed by the team and was not there in a capacity as a fan. At that point, the Brewers had every right to ask for the ball.

I mean, yeah, they probably went over the top in firing him, but he was insubordinate.

And as far as that blog? No one knew it was Hank Aaron's last home run at the time. He could have hit more. Any more than I knew I was seeing Nolan Ryan's last win in '93 in Cleveland when I went to see him.

11. If I recall correctly - Dick Drago (the pitcher who surrendered 755) was later arrested for being a dead beat dad and not paying his child support.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

The story isn't clear, but the home run was in fact hit at County Stadium.

And it was a pretty reasonable request by the guy. It's not like he was asking for season tickets or mountains of cash or anything, he just wanted to meet Hank Aaron and turn the ball over personally. What's wrong with that?

Technically it was insubordination but in an environment like that it sounds as if going to the washroom without receiving prior written permission would also classify as insubordination.

Draft saved Draft deleted