1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hannibal Rising: Am I the last to know ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Dec 10, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

... that Thomas Harris has come out with a new book, describing the genesis of Hannibal Lecter into a monster? And that there's going to be a movie out already, in 2007.

The reviews on Amazon are almost unanimously unkind, some saying it's hard to believe Harris even wrote the thing. But I got to read it nonetheless, and see the movie, too -- and I don't do movies.

Were other Harris/Lecter fans aware that this was going on? I was surprised when today on an NFL game commercial was the first I had heard of it.

2. I wasn't aware of the book until I saw it at a local Barnes & Noble last week. I read the book jacket and was not impressed. The last book outlined how Lecter came to be Lecter. I'm guessing that the advance was just too big for Harris to pass up. I'm probably going to skip this book.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

After reading the reader reviews on Amazon, I'm tempted, but I'm too big of a fan of the series to do that.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Count me among those who had no idea there was a new Lecter book out until today.

And Chris, didn't Harris take forever to write the previous book? He doesn't seem like a guy who would write something merely for the advance. Could be wrong, of course.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

After the last book, I'll pass unless the reviews say it's great. I thought the last one sucked really bad.

I thought Red Dragon was his best.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

See, that's the thing. On the other books, fans eagerly waited for years for them to come out. The deal was that he wrote at a very slow pace and only when he was ready.

That's why this whole thing is whole strange.

And oddly, I didn't think Hannibal sucked at all -- even, believe it or not, the ending.

7. Movie is due out in early 2007

8. ARD

ARD Member

I just heard of it, too, and man, the reviews are blistering. Haven't decided yet. But then, I haven't read or seen the "Silence of the Lambs" sequel either. ;D

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You're not missing much there.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I guess a young Hannibal liked his liver with beer rathern than a nice Chianti.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Red Dragon' and 'Silence of the Lambs' were very good. I thought the last one sucked and probably won't read the latest.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I had heard about this from stories forecasting what kind of Christmas season the publishing industry was going to have, and "Hannibal Rising" was obviously expected to be a big seller. But the reviews have been so negative -- and the writing excerpts they use to make their point have been so over-the-top piss-poor -- that I suspect you might see a ton of hard-cover versions of the book in Half-Price Books stores around the country next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted