1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hand-drawn page one in today's Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Freelance Hack, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere on here, but I think it's most appropriate for this board. If this is a d-b, please feel free to remove.

Today, the front page of the C-J was actually a hand-drawn replication by a Turkish artist and a few student assistants. It's to help kickoff the creation of a new organization that wants to promote public art and transform how people experience it.

Here's what it looked like:

[​IMG]

And here are a couple articles about it:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009904100430
    http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090410/OPINION04/904100361/1054/OPINION

For some reason, my reaction to this has been quite visceral.

Perhaps it's because the organization's director was comparing this to Christo's saffron gates at Central Park. Perhaps it's because the implication is that a newspaper itself is not a piece of art nor are the writers, designers, photographers, editors and cartoonists themselves artists in their own right.

What I felt when I saw it was the same reaction I felt when Michael Bolton did "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" a few years ago. Decent effort (in the artists' case, it only took them an hour to hand draw the page -- an impressive feat), but the end product is nowhere near as good or as powerful as the original.

Am I wrong to think that? I've been told by some I'm missing the point to this. If I am, then what was the point?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. pallister

pallister Guest

Who needs page designers?

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that the regular version of Page 1A was on Page 3A.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It was, doggie

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Did the artist include an interview with a minority?

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Come on. We all know the real reason they did this. Management is experimenting with getting rid of all of the computers in the company and laying off all the page designers.

They'll start this way and pretty soon ask all the reporters to "do more with less" and hand-draw their stories directly as a cost-cutting measure.

I just can't wait till someone hand-draws the Southland ad on A-1 </crossthread>

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Hack, I'm not sure what point you're missing, and I understand your issues with it, but I think it's pretty damn cool. If it's a one-time thing I have no problem with it. I just think it's intersting and creative.

8. agateguy

agateguy Member

I agree with DirtyDeeds; it is interesting and creative. I actually expected something more bizarre.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We should all write with Crayolas from now on.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe then I'll get color on my sports front.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Art. Booooooo!

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We did this once in college after all the typesetters broke down on deadline.

God forbid, of course, that a newspaper try something that might make readers stop for a moment and think.

Draft saved Draft deleted