1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween treat for Springsteen fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Oct 31, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Quickly get over to the official site - brucespringsteen.net - for an audio download and video for a new song especially for Halloween - "Night with the Jersey Devil". Don't know how long it will be up there for.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

very nice.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a close relative who lives near Springsteen. Springsteen and his wife used to (and probably still do) go over the top on Halloween, decorate like crazy, wear costumes and come to the door and interact with the trick or treaters. The whole bit.

I was over this relative's house 9 or 10 years ago on Halloween and there were two kids in the house. The boy, who is now 17, had already finished trick or treating and was out of his costume, when a friend of the family came over and was talking about what Springsteen does for Halloween. We really wanted to go over there and see him--it's kind of your one chance to just knock on Bruce Springsteen's door--but we couldn't do it without a couple of kids in tow, obviously. So we told the two kids that we taking them out to do some more trick or treating. The little girl was totally down with that, but the boy didn't want to put his costume back on, which led to the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, a mom yelling a little boy for not wanting to trick or treat. "What kind of kid are you?!?!?! What kid doesn't want to go out and get candy?!?!?!?"

He wanted no part of it, but we finally bribed him into putting his costume back on, and we went over to Springsteen's house. Sure enough, him and his wife came to the door in elaborate costumes and the place was decorated all spooky. Springsteen was wearing a hunter's costume and he had this bloody, real-looking deer head mounted on his back.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Apparently, Springsteen put an announcement on his Web site that the Halloween extravaganza will not happen this year.

As for the song: neat. Now all the hardcores will se that as the latest "If he plays this, it will be the Holy Grail!!!!" song at the concerts.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe you were actually at Ted Nugent's house.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not exactly a family-friendly little ditty. :eek: :eek:

:D :D

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I was up late last night and got the e-mail from springsteen.net right after midnight so saw it last night. If anyone hasn't seen it, here's the YouTube link. I actually think it's great. Some old-time blues there. Ragu, that is so cool you went over there. What did the decorations look like? My theory is, since they shut down the Halloween display this year (there was a note on the Web site about that), Bruce decided to put together a little Halloween song/video. Some on fan board speculating it's the first off the new album but I'm not buying that. Anyway, here's the link

8. Piotr Rasputin

I don't know . . . the lyrics were based on a well-known story, the riff was standard blues stuff. The vocal was distorted, meaning that he never had to work on "getting it right."

A neat little ditty, but certainly something a guy like him can put together in an afternoon. Even while playing all instruments.

The video was very nice, though. Love the opening shot of Springsteen's head coming out of the swamp.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yeah, there was some DeNiro in Cape Fear going there. I also like at the end when his head goes back into the swamp.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Haven't been on any of the fanboards since the tour got over, but my hunch is that it IS the first taste off the new album. The production quality on the video is too high that they just intended it for a giveaway single.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Not these days, Starman.

Maybe a day to shoot, another day on Final Cut Pro, and voila . . . new Springsteen video.

If this is a taste of the new album, then maybe it will be plagued by the same "Loudness War" production issues as some say Magic had?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I, for one, was disappointed he didn't drag Courteney Cox out of the swamp and dance with her.

Draft saved Draft deleted