1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween parties

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

The local watering hole is having a Halloween party tonight. Since I'm on my own this weekend, I figured I'd go.

The problem? I'm not into the dressing in costume for Halloween. I thought I had a costume from several years ago, but when I found it, the kids must have gotten to it because it's too beat up to wear.

And I promised my friend (she works there) that I would do better than wearing a Halloween sweatshirt and calling it good.

Do I go? Do I say forget it, stay home and watch hockey? And just what the hell am I supposed to wear?

Can't I just wear my regular clothes and say I dressed as the local paper's sports columnist?!

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Geez, you shouldn't have promised your friend . . . don't you have a hockey sweater or Twins jersey or something? Then at least you're one step up from what you suggested, or as I refer to it when I use that costume: "pissed-off sports news editor"

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Find a Wild sweater and say you're a favorite of Jacques Lemaire. ;D

Seriously, I wouldn't know what to wear myself. I could put on a jersey, but I don't resemble an athlete. :-\ I thought of other things, but they would involve too much quote function work on this board.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have all three Wild jerseys, just hate the thought of wearing one to the bar. :-\

And the promise was one of those, "You WILL do better than wearing a pumpkin sweatshirt!"

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Whatever you do, don't watch hockey.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Put on a hooded sweatshirt, fake mustache and 1970s-style mirrored sunglasses. You can go as the Unibomber.
    You make your arrival in costume, do your greetings and such, but your inside, so you soon have to take the sunglasses off.
    Then you need a drink, so you have to take off the fake mustache.
    And it's warm inside, so you have to pull the hood down.
    Then you're just hanging out at the bar in a hooded sweatshirt.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

my 16-year-old just went to a sweet 16/costume party. he didn't have a costume, so he found an old pair of dark slacks that are three inches too short, white socks. dark shoes, a buttoned shirt he did all the way to the neck, put pens in the shirt pocket, parted his hair, slicked it down and voila! he went as a nerd.

pretty cool on his part, i must say. oh, he put on fake glasses with a band-aid holding 'em together, too.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well done, Shockey.

Rosie, I sympathize. A friend of mine always wants to me to go to a hangout to watch NFL on Sundays, but I can see and hear my game at home, and the smoke in that place makes me hesitant to wear any of my jerseys.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm giving in -- I'm wearing one of my Wild jerseys.

And a Vikings baseball hat.

And Twins earrings.

And jammie pants with little footballs on them.

I think I'll call myself -- Super Fan.

God help me!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Too bad at the party he's telling all the kids he's dressed as his dad!!! :D ;D ;D :D :D <----------liking a bunch of smileys together just like Shockey!!!

My alma mater is probably throwing its annual kick-ass Halloween bash tonight. That's one thing I miss about college: The Halloween bash. That was always awesome. I always went dressed as a drunk student. :D

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

now THAT'S what i call lol funny!! well done. ;D ;D ;D

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A tall buddy and I went as the Blues Brothers (I'm short and pudgy), and it was a pretty big hit most of the night.

Draft saved Draft deleted