1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Halloween, kids and co-workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So I'll be doing Halloween solo this year because my wife has to work.
    Her partner wouldn't cover for her. Her childless partner. Her childless partner who my wife has covered for plenty of times so he could go on golf trips, vacations, etc.
    If my kids were 5 and 3, fine, whatever. But they're not. We have a 3-year old and a 7-month old meaning my wife will not see her kid out for their first Halloween (I am bringing the kids to her at work prior to us going out).
    Am I overreacting here? When I worked, I had great co-workers and we understood each other. I wasn't a hockey fan and my co-worker was, so when the Bruins won the Cup, I agreed to cover his Legion game so he could watch Game 7. When I had my first kid's Halloween, a co-worker picked up my pages so I could go out. Countless trades like this and never had a problem.
    My wife won't say anything to her partner. I told her I'd tell the guy to stop being a selfish prick and he can go to his Halloween party after his shift ends at 8.
    Needless to say, I'm super pumped to drive the kids 45 minutes to see the wife, 25 back to her grandfather's neighborhood for ToT, go out with the two while trying to take pics, then get them home solo.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did the guy have other plans?

Be careful with the whole "childless" part. His time isn't any less valuable than hers.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's a bullshit line.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At that age it's more about the picture of the kiddos in the costume. The "out" part isn't that memorable, imo.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The coworker might have some cornfield Halloween trim lined up.

6. The answer is yes, you're overreacting.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Gonna call bullshit to a degree. Kids have to be home and in bed by a certain time. If he has an adult Halloween party, odds are the partner could go later after he's off work like Rhody suggested. Besides, Halloween is a much bigger kid holiday than adults. For those adults who do celebrate it with parties, they'll probably be later (after 8, like Rhody said), esp. on a Friday night.

And like Rhody said, this is his youngest's FIRST Halloween. That's a big deal. So, yeah, that's more valuable than just about anything he likely has planned. And the fact that she's covered for the partner many times and he can't do her a solid here so that she can have a lasting memory of her child's first Halloween makes him a bit of a jerk.

In a lot of instances, I'd agree with you both. And maybe there are circumstances that weren't made clear. But from what Rhody posted, I think Rhody has a solid point. If he wants off to go to a party a little earlier vs. Rhody's wife going with her kids on one of the kid's first Halloween, I side with Rhody's wife.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Totally disagree. I have some memorable times trick or treating with my kids at those ages.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Rules are rules Rhody.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You seem to be under the delusion that this coworker should sacrifice his plans because you have kids. You sound like the selfish prick, not him.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Go visit your wife, and teabag his keyboard and coffee cup while there.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree his time isn't less valuable than hers, but if she's covered for him in the past, he should do the same for her. But if he has plans, then what are you going to do?

This is a reminder to me how grateful I am to have normal hours and almost never have to work nights or weekends.

With kids that young though, you're going to get to 10-12 houses before the baby starts to get agitated and you'll have to go in.

Get the pictures with Mom. Take a ton of pictures or video when you're out with them to show her later.

Beyond that, don't overthink it.

Draft saved Draft deleted