1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hall of Fame - David Wells?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Best big game pitcher of the era? This might surprise some people, but I'll go with John Smoltz.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Manky's thread on Luis Sojo next week.

"I can't think of a utility player that contributed more to the greatest team of all-time. While he was no Scott Brosius, I still think he deserves discussion for the Hall of Jeter Fame."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The best fat pitcher of all time:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Should he be paired in the wagering with Chili Davis or Shane Spencer?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Which HOF campaign will Ruben Rivera steal?

6. sgreenwell

+1.

7. sgreenwell

"Chili Davis' home run on a cold night did not just break up Pedro Martinez's no-hitter, it propelled the Yankees toward further World Series appearances. While I know that he's no Mantle, I think he had a very similar career to Jim Rice."

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

We think alike!

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll go with the Babe as best fat pitcher.

Bob Wickman as most entertaining. Like a walrus on roller skates out there. Plus he was missing part of his finger from a dairy farming accident, which made him a little like Mordecai Three Finger Brown in my mind.
    [​IMG]

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In fairness, Babe really became the fat man we all know and love after he gave up pitching and went to the Yankees (with a few mound appearances not withstanding).

When he was with the Red Sox, he was actually in decent shape, maybe a little pudgy at most.

Oh, and I eagerly await Manky's thoughts on Jim Bruske.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I loved watching Chili Davis as a kid, but c'mon...

Jim Rice - Six times in the top 5 of MVP voting... Davis - zero.
    Jim Rice - Eight all-star teams... Davis 3.

The HR and RBI numbers are similar, but Rice has about 30 more HR and 80 more RBI and he played 3-4 fewer seasons.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wouldn't even call him pudgy. For the first half of his career, he was just a powerful, athletic beast. Never skinny, of course. Just a muscular physical specimen.

It wasn't until the late 1920s that he started losing control of his frame. The enduring image of him as a jolly, fat slugger is a caricature, not reality. He was the best athlete in the league most years.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted