1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hal McRae blowup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BigRed, Mar 23, 2007.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Unless this thread is the exclusive province of baseball managers with attitudes, someone has to post the great Bob Knight meltdown when he goes off on his players for losing to Purdue. It's better than McRae and right up there with Elia and Weaver in the "classics" category.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Tommy LaSorda rant when a reporter asked what he thought of Dave Kingman's performance when Kingman hit three home runs against the Dodgers is worthy of mention here.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used to have a tape with all of this on there and more - the George Brett how are you healing question - and someone "borrowed" it and it never got returned.
    My wife thought LaSorda was such a classy guy until she heard the "three motherfucking home runs" over and over.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You will learn soon enough.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, most royals fans are smoking rock.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Unable to find the audio file online, so the transcript will have to suffice, courtesy of salon.com, though it may be abridged; I seem to remember Knight ripping Greg Graham.

"Now I am tired of this shit. I'm sick and fucking tired of an 8-10 record. I'm fucking tired of losing to Purdue. I'm not here to fuck around this week. Now you may be, but I'm not. Now I am gonna fucking guarantee you, that if we don't play up there Monday night, you aren't gonna believe the next four fucking days. Now I am not here to get my ass beat on Monday. Now you better fucking understand that right now. This is absolute fucking bullshit. Now I'll fucking run your ass right into the ground. I mean I'll fucking run you, you'll think last night was a fucking picnic. I had to sit around for a fucking year with an 8-10 record in this fucking league and I mean you will not put me in that fucking position again, or you will goddamn pay for it like you can't fucking believe. Now, you better get your head out of your ass."

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Did this actually get on over the air??? If so, I cannot believe the host kept asking the questions.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not sports, but Kasey Kasem's meltdown is a classic.

http://www.fadetoblack.com/outtakes/index1.html

Fucking ponderous.

9. boots

boots New Member

There are so many memorable meltdowns. I've always been partial to Kanaye West's meltdown about Bush hating black people leaving Mike Meyers looking like a jack ass with nothing to say. Classic.

10. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

http://bobbyknightaddressescongress.ytmnd.com/

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Intresting case of life imitating art there. Remeber the SNL skit with Myers and Heather Locklear? Myers was an infomercial host and Locklear was hawking various products while managing to work in statements along the line of the Holocaust never happened, etc. Quite priceless.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm completely drawing a blank, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out. There was some band leader who would go on infamous rants on all of the member's of the band after shows. There were audio recordings of some of them, and they were great, but I'm completely drawing a blank on who it was. I feel like I heard about him on one of the extras on the Seinfeld DVDs and he inspired one of their characters. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Draft saved Draft deleted