1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hal McCoy's run is ending...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hpdrifter, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a great last blog. And what a great thread. Let me just add, shame on you Dayton newspaper. I hope you bean counters realize you are pieces of human dung. You have surrounded yourselves with yes men and women who know nothing about newspapers. And you are certainly adding to the demise of the Dayton paper. Beef up your Little League coverage and overcover the University of Dayton. You are blowing it big time by abandoning the Reds and McCoy!!!

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This is one hell of a classy 14-year-old:

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the Reds clubhouse without seeing Hal and George Grande. Good luck to both, although I'm sure hoping neither will completely disappear.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine it either. Can't say Grande was my favorite broadcaster, but there was familiarity there and I'm sure he's a very nice man. McCoy was a favorite. I think a part of that team died yesterday, not to mention another piece of this business.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Almost brought a few tears to my eyes looking at this. What a classy final day column.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I wonder how many reporters are respected in the clubhouse like McCoy? He says he has a couple of things in the pipeline ... wonder if one of them is that Cincinnati sports website. Either way, sounds like he'll be doing something. Best of luck to a great guy.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good Stuff Hawk.
    Hal is one of the great people in this business. Always helpful and cheerful. You truly know this business if totally fucked up when good people like Hal have to leave. God Bless You Hal and thanks for everything.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm glad the guy in Milwaukee didn't catch Gomes' home run ball. No telling what he would have wanted from Hal in return. Probably a few thousand bucks, 10 autographed Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips' bats. Season tickets to the reds for life.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would ask what Bubbler would have done had he caught it except we know Bubbler wouldn't have caught it.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Ouch!! :D

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The Dayton Daily News Makes it official: McCoy will still be around in retirement.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/hal-mccoy-will-still-write-in-retirement-342201.html

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Translation: It's cheaper to pay him as a freelancer. But hey, if it keeps him around... thank you, DDN. You saved yourself from a fate worse than being used to hold the garbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted