1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Had sex with one of your students? You're banished to Canada.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Oct 23, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1161553809572&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Legal experts on both sides of the border are scratching their heads after a U.S. judge told a Buffalo teacher convicted of having sex with a 15-year-old girl he could avoid a one-year jail sentence by accepting a three-year exile to Canada.

Well, you gotta give the judge points for creativity.

2. Let me see.
    If I go to Buffalo and get me some hot teen lovin', I then get to live in Canada for three years.
    Do I qualify for health care?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, this guy lives in Fort Erie. That's punishment enough.

4. Can I live in Churchill?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sure. You and the polar bears.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I know some smartass will opine that the sentence is only fair considering all the garbage we've given them over the years, like Celine Dion. But hey, we've had to tolerate Fergie so, goddamn it, we're even already.

JR is right, though. I've been to Fort Erie and it's not a great place.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Quite frankly, I'd be insulted if I were a Canadian. Exile to Canada is punishment for child love? That's like saying we'll exile you from Texas to Oklahoma for the same thing.

OK ... admittedly, that's a much worse punishment.

8. In Oklahoma, it's not even a crime.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

What's the judge thinking? Since when do we start giving sex offenders punishment options....especially when one of the choices is obviously more appealing? I don't want to give a sex offender much credit, but no way is he choosing Canada.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I've asked this before, and I'll ask again. Why all the Canada bashing? I've been up north before (admittedly, it was Toronto) and I found it a nice, clean, pleasant country. What's up with the Canadaphobia?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jealousy. :)

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Don't go hatin' on the Okies, man. That's strictly Arkansas territory there.

We Okies are good people.

Draft saved Draft deleted