1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Habla usted Inglés

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

no comprende

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At least she wasn't a Criminal!

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nice

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Heaven forbid our own children learn a second language, like Spanish.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right. They absolutely should learn a second language. I'm already pushing that with my kids...

But if you're going to live in another country, it's not asking too much for people to learn that language.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Screw English. She shouldn't be speaking any foreign language. If she won't learn American, she shouldn't be on the ballot. Love it or leave it, bitches!

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The trouble with that in this instance is that the lady in question isn't living in "another country," she's living in her native country (as I understand it). And it is a fact that along the Rio Grande Spanish is the main language and English is the secondary one. Go to Brownsville or Laredo here in the Lone Star state and you'll see what I mean. Plenty of "natural born" citizens speak only rudimentary (at best) English.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And not just in border cities, as anyone with experience of small-town council meetings just about anywhere could tell you.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I saw something else that said this town has had six mayors in 10 years, because recalls are constantly going on. Again, while the lack of English is the alleged issue and certainly is what makes for an internationally read story, the actual issue is likely the vagaries of small-town politics. If this woman spoke the Queen's English, the mayor would have found another reason to go after her.

10. Boom_70

She must have graduated high school before "child left behind"

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

So you think all business in Puerto Rico should be done in English too?

12. Boom_70

What will happen when we get to the moon?

Draft saved Draft deleted